change in cdh regs?

Yvonne

Hi,

We are planning a complete revamp of our kitchen. Local hoteliers/neighbours have warned us not to fall fowl of the 'new' cdh regs.....they cannot expand on this.

Has anyone heard of any changes afoot that we will need to be aware of ralting to either kitchens or fire regs?

I presume that, if not, our kitchen is still ours and we can do as we wish? We offer table d'hôtes but not restaurant.

Thanks,

Abi

We have not been informed of anything by Gites de France that might affect us - but that does not mean nothing is afoot.

If you are serving food to the public there are existing rules about food hygiene, separation of different food stuffs, what you can put in the fridge etc., but I don't know the ins and outs as we don't do meals, other than that there are hefty fines if you're caught out in an inspection.   I only glimpsed something about this on a French B&B forum and I didn't pay a lot of attention.  I'm sure Miki or Quillan can tell you more.

Like Phil, we have had no notification and to be honest, talking for myself, I don't really keep up with the new rules for new entrants but can try to look up these things when asked.

We keep our kitchen clean and tidy, simply because we do, if you see some of our neighbours, no............you don't want to go there !! We are certainly not   taken in the same way as full resto kitchens, otherwise we would look like a hotel'/resto kitchen. Plain and simple hygeine rules apply though.

All I can see and to be honest, it was a brief look, was this

http://www.inforeg.ccip.fr/fiches/act_regl.htm

http://www.inforeg.ccip.fr/recherche.asp?recherche=chambres+d%27h%F4tes&option=0&nbcount=10

Phil, I think if you surf through those, you might see the "rules" about carbon copy notes etc.

I also looked at a couple of French forums and not any more there, than the usual regs.

So not sure how one can have a table d'hôte kitchen like a hotel/resto kitchen and if the people telling you, can't explain, well.......................

Hi,

Thanks for your comments. We haven't managed to find anything out about changes either so I think we'll continue to do as we always have - like you said Miki, clean and hygenic. As you say, if a kitchen has to meet regs then it will need re-fitting completely and have 2 doorways etc etc......I don't even want to think about that option.

I hope I'm right in believing that the regs for cdh can't be changed too much in the future without  people being expected  to renovate their houses and I can't really see that happening.

We are choosing to renovate the kitchen so it's always worth knowing whats in the pipeline, if anything.

I wonder if it's simply local hotels 'wishing' that there were tougher regs on cdh?!

Thanks,

Abi

Abi,

You don't know just how true that is !

C d'Hôtes are under pressure from Hotels/Restos and Campings, almost monthly. Any downturn in the turnovers from those commerces, will see more calls for tighter regs for all of us.

Please note,  that wherever one looks, as far as as regs go, Table D'hôtes does  mean signing at the Ch de Commerce.

Quite agree Miki!

We are in a ski resort and with difficult trade this season everyone is trying to grab what they can.

We are fully registered so, hopefully, renovation will be fine. I'm not going to be proactive and go to the office and inquire as we did that 2 years ago re cdh occupancy numbers and were told quite categorically (you may remembermy posting) that the max occupancy was 10...........

I've come to the decision its better not to ask too many questions sometimes.

Abi

[quote] I've come to the decision its better not to ask too many questions sometimes.[/quote]

I once spent a fair bit of money a long time ago, to get what I hoped would be good advice.

I  remember two main things from that meeting with the advisor/accountant "Don''t for goodness sake register, you will never be able to afford what you have planned" and the second was..."You haven't been here and I haven't seen you.....do what you need to feed and clothe the kids"

That was in Provence, where a fair number know how to get by and the first word I learned there was Magouille !