cheque d'emploi CESU

Yvonne

Does anyone currently use these cheques to pay casual / seasonal staff?

We have been advised that they are the easiest way (cheapest??) to pay a seasonal cleaning lady or gardener?

If anyone does use them, please can you tell me how I can estimate the total costs involved with contributions etc and how I go about getting them?

Many Thanks

Abi

The Cheque emploi service universel (CESU) can only be used to pay an employee employed by an individual to perform work at the employer's home.

The service is not designed to be used to pay persons employed by a commercial enterprise.

Details in French HERE.

in google English HERE.

If it is for a B & B it IS your home and you can use the CESU for someone to help in the grden or do the ironing or cleaning.  If you pay (say) 10€ per hour you will have approximately half as much again i.e another 5€ an hour deducted in charges.  You get the cheque book from your banck and send the second docket in the book to URSAAF who calculate the charges.  Your employees has the cheque which he pays in in the normal way and the charges are deducted from your account several weeks later (you get a notice of advce).  The following year you will get part of the money refunded as a tax credit if you are resident in France.

Well I do pay my cleaning/ironing lady that way and asked the question.  I live in the house and want it clean, the fact that there are B & B guests there too is a bit irrelevant when you think about it (but I probably couldn't afford the cleaning lady (only 2 hours a week) if they weren't there.  She comes all year round and actually does MY housework so I can keep up with the guests.

Well the first year we were open we employed the girl (a student) from next door over the summer, just a couple of hours when and where required. We thought this was a good idea, it helped us and it gave her some spending money and of course we paid her cash in hand because we knew no better. Funny enough I read a thread on this forum about what could happen if the employee has an accident and they are working for you on the black. Ironically it was the day before the girl tripped over the hoover cable coming down the stairs but fortunately, apart from a couple of choice bruises, no harm was done. If she had broke a limb it could have all got a bit nasty.

So ever since then we have used CESU whenever we have employed somebody to do the cleaning and I know I am not the only one. I find that I have to agree with Cerise in that under the definition of a Chambres D'hotes you are renting out rooms in your own home and that the guests are staying with you as part of your family so therefore in the purist sense of what a CDH is it is not a business. I can understand how people can think that it is as in many cases it has gone well beyond being a method of earning a bit of 'pin money' to subsidise ones main income.

Surely the distinction is whether or not the B&B or gites is a large enough business, or forms a big enough percentage of your income, to be a registered business? If it is a part-time pin money activity in your own home, then surely the CESU should suffice. If it is a business registered at the Chambre de Commerce, even if it is situated in the same building in which you live, I would have thought you would need to use the cheque d'emploi TPE if the cleaning work includes the 'commercial' part of the building.

I don't know for sure, one way or the other, but it sort of makes sense to me.

Hi,

thanks to everyone for your comments.

Cheque d'emploi TPE....does this work in luch the same way as the CESU?

I suppose, for us, the main criteria is how much extra we are going to pay in contributions etc. Will it always be around the 50% mark? In addition we have to have the ability to be flexible about working hors etc - we dont want to be tied into a fixed contract with anyone.

I think I'll ask at the bank.

Thanks again

Abi

I think a lot of British people don't realise how reglemented  the 'Code de travail' is in France, and tend to go about things as if it were the UK.

Even the small part-time job I do now is covered by a contract

I have been  on the receiving end of CES (coaching) and used them  for help in the home. On the receiving end they even contributed a minuscule amount to my pension. It is a system I recommend, but which needs to be fully understood.