bed advice

We found Tempur to hot, the fact the foam moulds round you to seems to be the problem, and the same with all foam mattresses that are too soft if you sink into them you'll be too warm. As we didn't have the budget to change all the mattresses in our private bit of our Chambre D'Hote and did have one which wasn't 2 sided so I bought a topper from Ikea which has done the trick. I also think if you put a foam mattress on a solid or sprung base they are hotter than using a slated sommier where the air can circulate.

As to knowing which is the summer side and which is the winter we couldn't find the secret code, we just tried them and turned them over if necessary. We bought our mattresses from our local bed shop where the guy was really helpful in pointing us in the right direction in terms of finding 2 sided etc etc and ordered us some special size for our antique beds. Ikea mattresses have a great reputation but I thought they where expensive (when you include delivery) compared to the quality you could get in the local store.

Thanks to everyone who posted their thoughts and experiences concerning mattresses.  Last week I did a tour of various shops ending up with Ikea and have to say that € for €, Ikea seem like a very good deal pricewise.  I tested their latex and sprung mattresses and have to say that the sprung ones were certainly excellent .  After taking on board all that posters mentioned about heat with latex, the sprung mattresses with lattes underneath will suit my purposes as air circulates and as I read somewhere that the average sprung mattress contains 2litres of water [+o(] I hate to imagine how much latex mattresses absorbe!!!!!!

Great info all around, thank you.

Looking into weight loss and mattresses: If a sprung mattress absorbs 2 litres of water per night, in a double bed that is one liter per person - so possible to lose one kilo each every night?

For faster and more efficient weight loss, perhaps a latex mattress absorbs twice that?

If you then add extra activity, your bed be the optimal location for maximum weight loss. Good news.

[quote user="5-element"] If you then add extra activity, your bed be the optimal location for maximum weight loss. Good news.[/quote]

What, you do your commando exercises in bed, 5-e?  No wonder you're so svelte.....[:P]

If you have accurate scales then weigh yourself before going to bed and then first thing in the morning, you will look at your mattress in a different light thereafter!

Or for a more viusal representation sleep the night in an old uninsulated camping car with all the windows closed.

• 11 years later...
5 minutes ago, jimiii said:

Hi, I'm a body builder and would like to listen your advice about the mattresses. If anyone of you have an idea please let me know. Thank you!

Jimii

Hello Jimi, you can go for futon matresses, they are affordable and more comforable than others.