Employing Cleaner

Jmp

I would appreciate some advice on the best way to employ (pay) a changeover cleaner. It seems that the chque d'emploi system might not be appropriate for this type of work where the owner lives in the UK (i.e. the letting property is not part of a family home). Have I misunderstood? Any ideas gratefully received.

My understanding was that it was the type of work that mattered not where you lived.

I asked Britline who we bank with and they quite happily sent me the paperwork to sign. They then supplied me with a special cheque book which also has the forms to send off to Cheque d'emploi service together with addressed envelopes. They obviously know I have UK address.

Trish

I suspect that technically you are correct.
The rules say that it covers work "a votre domicile" and specifically excludes work connected with professional activities. Hence it might be hard to claim expenses paid through the scheme, as an expense against income received.
Thats the theory, but there are probably plenty of people waiting to tell us how they have been using the cheques for years......