advice wanted-how to sell home & gites

Sam

Could someone please advise us on the best way to sell our house and gites in France. We are amazed at the lack of competence of French agents, and for that the buyer pays exorbitant fees. For example, for our house/gites we will get 450,000 euros but with agents fees the price is nearer 500,000. However, the point is this: we are using 4 agents in France to sell our property and we are not getting any visitors so we looked on the website of each and one of them did not have our place advertised and the others had neglected to mention the fact that the house also had gites and therefore an income. We are wondering if it is best to advertise in England and if we did not sell through a French agent does that mean that the buyer would save on fees?
Thanks in advance for your advice

Hi, I would have thought a small ad in something like French Property News would be a good idea. After all, you are really after the english market as they are the ones who want to buy homes with incomes to retire to. I have seen private ads like that in there before. Or a nice colour pic and advert in Living France. I am sure there are other magazines you could use, but you might just be hitting the same target buyers each time, so you ought to work out which would be best. No idea on that but this is just a suggestion.
fil

You can advertise on Total France web site for nothing and, if you happen to be in Brittany or the South of France you can advertise on the AngloInfo site. I am sure there must be others. I have sometimes thought what I would do when we come to sell our house and gite and I would first have a look through one of the search engines with a few key words eg property sale France and see what comes up. Some of the firms that do holiday lets also have sections for house purchase and I am sure French Property News, as already suggested, would be a good bet. The exhibitions that abound in the UK often have an area for private sales. as well. And how about Dalton's Weekly?

I certainly wouldn't scorn DIY methods, we have only once sold a house through an estate agent.

Liz (29)