Gites de France Grants

Rita

Hi,

Have been in contact with GDF to enquire about obtaining a grant for renovation works on gites (hopefully). However they have sent the brochure and it is obviously in French unfortunately my French is not good enough just yet to understand the whole ins and outs and they do not supply an English version (quite rightly).
Has anyone any knowledge of this type of grant?
Has anyone applied?
How did you get on?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you in advance.

Rita

Rita,

We know of a couple, both French who have recieved grants from G de Fr.

It is a sometimes, long and ardous route. You will be tied in for up to 10 years and will have to adhere strictly to their regulations. All the work will have to be done by bone fide artisans, whose final work will be studied by G de Fr. You will have to pay for a percentage of the works, our friends put up 35% and 50% respectively. A lot these days will depend on where you are and the demand for gites in that area. You will also need to furnish and decorate to a high standard if you want to gain 3 epis, vital to get the maximum rental from the gite.

Having said all that, one is still with them, the other sold for various reasons.

You will have, more or less a total French market and this will mean lower prices than a UK advertised market. You are worried about your French, well you will get calls from the French, can you handle that? You will need to write or email correspondence in French, none of these are insurmountable but it will need lots of effort on your part to come up to scratch to survive in a French market.

Good luck but I will say that I have never recommened anyone to have credit (mortgage) with gites or B&B business in France.

Miki

we are just in the early stages of doing this, so if you'd like some support and help please contact us - we are drawing up the plans and also we are eligible for departmental and probably european grants - so maybe I have some info. you might find useful. There's too much to say here, but I'm happy to help how I can. (Always great to be able to put all those "experiences" to some use!)
If anyone wants some info. please contact on
[email protected]