HELP - I've double booked a week!

Diana

I have commited the ultimate sin and double booked a week in July. Both families booked at the start of the year but I have only just realised what I have done. One family hand wrote their form in very illegible writing and being American wrote their date round the wrong way. But I take full responsibility for it.

I have already managed to find them alturnitive very nice accommodation about 6 miles away. They don't know any of this yet so advice please on what I should do.

My thoughts are.

Give them the choice of:

1. a full refund
2. The following week at just cost ie the cleaner, electricity etc.
3. arrange the alturnitive accommodation for them.

But how do I tell them this and what if they get stroppy and say they don't want any of the above.

Help

Diana

How have you decided which family to tell?
I think you need to get on the phone the sooner its done the better, you have tried to come up with a solution and it would be better to ring than email
I have just had to contact people that are due for 3 days next week to say the pool will be out of action when they are here and offered a full refund.
One clause I put in my conditions is the following
Under no circumstances shall the owners liability to the client exceed the amount paid to the owner for the rental period.

Good luck hope it all works out well for you

LAST EDITED ON 18-Jun-04 AT 10:16 PM (BST)

Hi Diana,

I felt so sorry when I read your posting - I thought I had done exactly this earlier in the year, and I felt physically sick, so I do know how you feel (luckily, mine was a false alarm, but horrid while it lasted).

Have you phoned the holiday makers yet? How did it go?

Kind Regards,

JudyM (14)

I hope all has worked out OK. Take heart, a friend of mine did the same thing a few years ago. All she could offer was a tiny studio appartment she has in the basement of her own house, OK but not in any way as nice as the gite. They enjoyed themselves so much during their stay, taking her out with them on several ocasions, that they still come back and see her from time to time.

Liz (29)

Thank you all for your support. I have managed to find them another house in the town, and it was the town location that was important to them. I offered to make the arrangements for them but they have picked up the pieces and are doing it themselves.

Diana