V. helpful tourist information.....

Ruthie

Had a very informative visit from the tourist information. They came around- at my request to inspect our gite and to add it to their list of properties. They raised several points about the gite all of which were very informative and will be useful when we renovate our barns and manoir in the future. Issues raised included ceiling heights, balustrade heights on stairs, what equipment should be included (apparently a pressure cooker is a must!!).

Anyway enough rambling, the point of my posting is that if you are considering renovating any buildings then it maybe worth approaching the tourist information for a list of specifics in order to get it right- for the French market. The visit was quite thorough and I will get a list of points that will need addressing if they are to give it a rating. All in all it cost     22 euros which I feel was money well spent!!

Hope this is of use to potential renovating gite owners!!

By the way it was the tourist info in Plestin-Les-Greves in 22.

Cheers

Ruth

I visited a local tourist office recently, wanting to gather info about places which were open "out of season".

The lady there was extremely surprised to hear I had an out of season booking, without even being registered with Clévacances or GdF. She was even more surprised on hearing I was already booked for July and August, as their own Clévacances gîtes were struggling to get any interest for the summer.

I mentioned I was still waiting for a visit from the préfecture for a rating and did not know what criteria (sp) to meet for the various number of stars which could be awarded. She just popped into a back office and gave me a copy of the "Critères de Classement" as per the "Journal Officiel Classement des meublés de tourisme".

It does indeed ask for a pressure cooker!

It explains quite clearly what is required to be rated at 1,2,3,4 or 5 stars.

[quote]Ooh, that sounds useful.Is that information of a short enough length that you could share it here?[/quote]

What I have been given is a copy of a copy of minutely typed details listed on both sides on 4 sheets of A4 paper!

There is a reference at the end to J.O. (Journal Officiel)du 29.01.1993...

It might be worth searching www.servicepublic.fr for it?

In addition, it also says that for any chance of a rating:

All floors, walls and ceilings must be clean and sound.

The kitchen must have ventilation, enough cupboard space, in good condition and order, heating, electrique or gas cooking, an oven, sink with at least 1 bowl, mixer tap, iron, fridge (140 l for 4/5 people), clothes dryer for indoor use, broom, bucket, pan and floor cleaning cloth, double the amount of matching crockery than max number of people staying, sufficient amount of good quality matching cutlery, pots and pans in good order and a PRESSURE COOKER!!!

In the dining room/area, table & chairs in good condition + heating.

In the living room/area, matching clean furniture + heating

In the WC, a cleaning brush, a loo cover and a bin.

In the bathroom, a bath or shower, a basin with mixer tap, ventilation and a 2nd bathroom for 7+ people.

In the bedrooms, good quality clean mattresses and bases, minimum of 2 blankets for each bed for winter let, a window in each bedroom (Velux or other), shutters or other means or total darkness and heating.

Practical local info and tourist information are a plus.

Bear in mind this is over 10 years old, but it does make me wonder what sort of accommodation some people offer, if this constitutes a minimum for basic rating...?

Anyway, this is your starting point...

Ah yes, I found it at http://www.gites-de-france.fr/fr/formules/gite/centre.htm#classement

(Note that the gites-de-france.fr website is frame-based and the above is a page that's supposed to be in a frame.)