Look out! Someone's watching you

Patmobile

Just received today a letter from Gites de France headed Tres Urgent, Tres Important!

The gist of the letter is that, as members of GdF we naturally have to pay appropriate taxes, local charges, local tourism publicity etc, that increase our costs, while other owners, who operate unclassified holiday accommodation and don't belong to any recognised network such as GdF, may not be operating under the same financial constraints.

We are then asked to fill in a questionnaire notifying GdF how many such unregistered establishments we know of in our area.

We are not asked to give names and addresses, but I can't help feeling that might be the next step, or, anyway, that some proprietaires might take this as an invitation to "denounce" a few of their competitors .

It certainly seems that GdF, together with other organisations they refer to but don't name, may be preparing a case to lobby for compulsory registration of holiday cottages, CdH's, and any other tourist accommodation.

If you're all above board this won't bother you, but if you're not.......

Patrick

Quote: The gist of the letter is that, as members of GdF we naturally have to pay appropriate taxes, local charges, local tourism publicity etc, that increase our costs, while other owners, who operate unclassified holiday accommodation and don't belong to any recognised network such as GdF, may not be operating under the same financial constraints.

May not, is the operative wording, it would be interesting to see if we GdF CdH get a similar letter.  There are other classifications available with other organisations and I know GdF in our area were particularly concerned that we didn't sign up with them.  It is wrong for them to assume that those not with them are not being up front.  I know of many, of course, who are not and some who are; I also know a couple of GdF members sailing close to the wind and although GdF members don't have registration, licences, pay taxes etc.

Quote: We are then asked to fill in a questionnaire notifying GdF how many such unregistered establishments we know of in our area.
We are not asked to give names and addresses, but I can't help feeling that might be the next step, or, anyway, that some proprietaires might take this as an invitation to "denounce" a few of their competitors .

If they want to check, all they have to do is scour the various brochures and directories, then check with the chambre de commerce and douanes for licences.  They could then send out letters to all those concerned directly.  I don't think it's for us to do their work for them.  Is this some sort of fall out from their fall out with other organisations.  Perhaps there is someone on the forum  more in the know with GdF who can explain the policy purpose.

Quote: It certainly seems that GdF, together with other organisations they refer to but don't name, may be preparing a case to lobby for compulsory registration of holiday cottages, CdH's, and any other tourist accommodation.

Do I do right in assuming you mean Chambre de Commerce registration? Well, it already is for most CdH, affiliated to GdF or not, except for those offering only the  most basic facilities or operating on a very occasional basis.  Those Gites which are not classed as commercial operation are a different matter, but perhaps it is time it was brought in, so we are all singing from the same hymn sheet.  If you mean GdF registration, although a member, I would oppose compulsory membership as I think it would be detrimental to the variety and numbers of accommodation on offer. 

I wonder if in your area you have an over-preponderance of 'foreign' owned holiday accommodation?  Has this drawn some bad blood somewhere, with the perception that these are the people not paying their dues?

Buns

[quote]Just received today a letter from Gites de France headed Tres Urgent, Tres Important!The gist of the letter is that, as members of GdF we naturally have to pay appropriate taxes, local charges, local ...[/quote]

We haven't had that through Patrick. Which dept are you with ?

More interestingly....is there a nice bounty on the heads of the infidels I ask ?

All getting "pretty tight" and I wonder once again, if the hotels etc are pushing ever more for regulations to be tightened up among "the people of the dark side"

Guess it's tough for us lot with all the big signs about, no pace to hide eh !

We haven't even had our tax forms through yet, I do hope we don't get accidentally roped in with the other non disclosers !

Miki, we're in 62

Buns, here is the (almost) full text. Draw your own conclusions.

"Depuis quelques temps, nous constatons que les hébergements labellisés Gîtes de France ainsi que d'autres labels ont tendance à être les "vaches à Lait" des services publics et privés, redevance TV, Sacem, taxe des enlèvements d'ordures ménagères, taxe sur la publicité, etc…

Force d'admettre qu'un certain nombre d'hébergements ouverts par des propriétaires qui ne souhaitent ni classement, ni label, échappent à toutes ces contraintes financières, la Fédération Nationale de Gîtes de France souhaite démontrer la bonne foi des propriétaires appartenant à un réseau en regard de ceux qui ne payent qu'un minimum pour un rentabilité maximum.

Ayant besoin de votre aide pour faire remonter l'information auprès des Instances Nationales, vous avez peut-être connaissance du fonctionnement d'hébergements touristiques, dans votre secteur ne possédant ni label, ni classement. A cette fin, nous vous serons reconnaissants de bien vouloir nous retourner le questionnaire ci-joint, après l'avoir complété.

Nous tenons à vous faire savoir que le résultat de cette enquête ne peut être qu'anonyme et qu'en aucun cas elle ne servira pour dénoncer telle ou telle personne, elle sera d'ailleurs globalisée pour en dresser un tableau departmental.

Nous comptons vivement sur votre collaboration et sur un retour fructueux.

Avec nos remerciements, etc., etc……"

Patrick

I also received the same letter today.  I run a GdF CdH in Pas de Calais.  It looks like they are trying to find out how many non labeled Gites/Chd are in operation.

My other half says its non of their business and I suppose as long as you are paying your taxes etc you are not obliged to have a label.  It certainly makes things easier here in advertising with tourist boards etc. but I suppose its up to the individual.

Are you going to answer???

I'm not sure yet.

I thought GdF was a commercial organisation which offers graded accomodation. I chose not to go with them, because they want exclusivity in the summer, said I could only ask for half the amount of rent I can get by advertising privately and they take 10% commision. I know that they provide a certain quality, but at a price. We have one cottage where there is a beam that doesn't conform to their criteria, therefore the cottage cannot be considered, despite in their words being charming and full of character. My gites are registered with the local centre des impots and I declare my earnings and pay taxes accordingly. So who exactly are GdF after?

As S8J and I are both in the Pas de Calais and we seem to be the only ones to have received this letter, maybe it's just the local branch getting a bit carried away.

We belong to GdF but we've never to my knowledge had a booking as a result of our listing with them. We reckon this is because we're far to expensive for the average French family who usually seem to want to pack 12 people into a 2 bedroom house. Or maybe it's just because we're Brits?.

Why are we members, then? For the grant of 12,000€ mostly, for the 3 epis rating, and also so that we can be included in official local tourism literature and websites.

Patrick