Newcomer to the Gite business

Washy

I have been trawling through the archives on this topic for some time now and the information is fantastic.  Could anyone point me in the direction of a book, article or web page with information about setting up a gite to let.  In particular the taking of bookings, making contracts etc.

Thanks

Washy

Incidentally I could not get past page 6 or the archives on this topic.

I've certainly seen a book on this precise subject recently, was it a Daily Telegraph Guide To Setting up a Gite Business in France?  It was certainly part of a series.  Worth checking those on Amazon.  Also, have you tried the Living France bookshop?  M

• 1 month later...
"Buy to Let in France"

by Clive Kristen

ISBN: 1-85703-880-0

My copy is a few years old now, and very well thimbed but cost me £10.99.

A great book which was invaluable to us when we started out. A must for everyone who is thinking about letting gites or those that already do but aren't sure they've got everything covered !

Maybe you could get it second hand on amazon?

Running gites is quite straight forward, the best think I can suggest is to contact someone who promotes tourism at your local council office, they will then call round to discuss the accommodation offered and advise on what will be needed for a gite, they may even offer grants for the renovation of a gite (25% of costs), they will also advertise and let anyone know who enquires at the tourist info offices and also place a sign outside your accommodation, they will also explain the tax system which probably wont apply if the gite is within the main accommodation and earnings are under 15000euros, if a seperate building is to be renovated for a gite then the yearly habitation taxes (council tax in UK) may change but I wouldnt imagine a great amount.