Gite Cleaning

dunny

As a new owner can anyone please let me know what is normal practise regarding the outgoing guests and the cleanliness of the gite/cottage. Is it expected that they just walk out and leave crockery after breakfast on the table, soiled nappies in the bin ect leaving all the cleaning to the owner/caretaker. I know that most brits are used to a maid service in Spanish resorts but is it expected in France.    

In most gites, but not all, guests are usually required to leave the place clean and tidy. This doesn't, however, mean that it won't need cleaning again to a higher standard even assuming the outgoing guests have done a good job (which many won't).

There is a huge difference in standards of cleanliness between diferent gites. Some can be quite grubby but many of the newer generation of gite owners are now offering much higher standards in furnishings, fittings, equipment,linen and of course cleanliness.

You can always offer, if you wish, an optional cleaning service at extra cost but from our own experience, few are likley to take up this offer.

To give you an example, our three bedroom gite takes two of us between two and a half and three hours to clean on a change over day assuming that the outgoing guests have left it clean. If they take up the optional cleaning service (which takes place on the day before their departure) then that is another three hours for one person. So that makes 8 to 9 man hours (or maybe woman hours) of cleaning. Then of course there is the laundry and ironing which adds another few hours.

In our information pack I ask guests to leave the place in the 'clean and tidy' state that they found it, including the outisde dining area, also to strip the beds. I do not expect them to leave washing up for me to do, although I don't mind emptying a dishwasher. I also prefer rubbish to be cleared (we had a nasty experience with nappies in a dustbin during a hot week - maggots everywhere!). However I don't expect guests to clean fridges, ovens, bathrooms, windows etc. Its nice when the grandparents stay - the houses are always very easy to clean afterwards. The best guests are the French who always leave houses immaculate, there is virtually nothing to clean afterwards!

When I've stayed in gites I've always left it clean if not cleaner than we I arrived.  In my own accommodation I expect the same.

I don't mind emptying dishwahers or bins for that matter (though most have emptied bins already). Regardless of how they've left it I still do a thorough clean, though less elbow grease is required, even if the place has been left immaculate.  I find it's wise to keep to a routine as it means that I can check evey aspect of the gite and can find out more easily if anything has been broken, damaged or need replacing due to general wear and tear.

If someone left washing up or tons of rubbish to remove I'd be deducting money from their deposit!

Thank you very much to those of you who responded to my message about cleaning. We already have an information pack in each cottage that requests that outgoing guests leave the place in the clean and tidy manner that it was found in, that does not mean I expect them to scrub the place on their hands and knees (they are on holiday of course- including mum) but after one family left it took me 8 hours to clean their cottage and if there had been guests coming in that day I would have felt it necassary to put them into a Hotel for the night as I would not have wanted to stay in the cottage myself, which incidently is furnished and equipped to a very high standard and beds are changed by myself weekly. Anyway that's my moan over and done with, I suppose I just needed a little reassurance that what I thought was just common courtesy from my guests is what other gite owners expect.  

Once again many thanks

Dunny 

We already have an information pack in each cottage that requests that outgoing guests leave the place in the clean and tidy manner that it was found in,

I think this request need to be in the rental agreement which the clients sign when they book your cottage. Then if the place is left in a dirty state I would have no hesitation in deducting a sum of money from their damage deposit to cover the extra work involved.

Gill

In our years as a customer and as an owner we have only ever had one problem.

An agency which seemed to pride itself on prissy cottages booked us into a French housing estate building. OK.

My radar had been raised beforehand when the documentation spoke of 'leave it as you find it'. I had asked for clarification beforehand and had been assured that the cleaner did a changover clean. To be fair the agent seemed 'a nice chap', but this particular changeover/cleaner wasn't up to it. We suffered because he had to take her word  (via the remote owner in Greece)

On our properties we insist that we, our cleaner/manager,  performs a 'good clean' at changeover but we make clear to the renters that we expect them to leave it easy for her to do so. I think I even say, as an example, that clean dishes on the drainer wouldn't be a problem but dirty dishes put away in the cupboard will cause a retention on the deposit. And yes we do have a dishwasher, I thought it essential for the holidaymakers.

I wouldn't want a renter to spend half a day cleaning as part of a week's holiday. I would expect them to leave it tidy and with empty bins. 

Good point about putting the cleaning clause in the Ts and Cs. This year, after having been left an uncacceptably dirty and untidy house after the May half term, I added a reminder of this as an extra clause in the information pack under the departure heading, saying "please note that any additinal cleaning costs will be deducted from the security deposit". Whether it is that, or the fact that all our guests have been great this year and would never leave any rental house where they stayed in a state, I have not had any problems with the way in which properties have been left since.