Best rental start day

alnmike

Your thoughts please. Our current changeover day is Saturday. We ususally travel on Tuesday as it's cheaper on the ferry. We were wondering whether to change our start day to help guests too. Do any of you have a non-Satuday start day?

If probably depends upon who your target customers are. If you are offering basic cheap and cheerful accommodation then a midweek start date might appeal to some of the holidaymakers on a tight budget.

Many holidaymakers who have everyday jobs in the UK will be tied to taking full weeks off work. Many employers aren't happy about people taking time off from midweek to midweek in the summer holidays as there can be a lot of staff wanting to fit in a holiday at that time. You could, however, try Sunday to Sunday which might be poplular for some.

If your target customers are those who are prepared to pay top prices for the accommodation that you offer, then they probably won't care how much the ferry crossing costs anyway. I know that we have a number of visitors who, having paid £3.6k to rent one of our properties for a fortnight, think little of spending another £800 per car load (often twice over as there might be two cars) for the most convenient sailings and the best cabins.

Hi, we really had no choice for our changeover day as we were offered Friday or Monday by the couple we had chosen for our caretaking/changeover service; and like most we would have, through preference chosen a Saturday. 

However, we have since found that the Friday changeover works really well and we have had no complaints so far; most people don't mind taking the extra day at the start of their holiday; and there are in fact a number of advantages, which we do point out to our prospective clients.

If you arrive on a Friday you have the benefit of having a full weekend in France, which for us means that you can visit the excellent local market on saturday morning; and at the other end of the holiday, you have the whole weekend to sort things out; laundry etc before returning to your everyday life. 

We have also found that ferries are generally cheaper on Thursday night/Friday crossings and the roads tend to be a little quieter.

But each to their own & i'm sure there are dis/advantages for all the options...

I am deliberating this question myself for next year as flights to Carcassonne and Perpignan seem to be cheaper on Tuesday and Wednesday.  Most of our friends seem to arrive on these days and we are seeing more french hire cars around in our villages.