Classement "Meublé de Tourisme"

Clair

I found thiswebsite giving a basic indication of what is required for classification:

http://www.meubles-a-louer.com/SiteWeb/page_Prestataire.aspx?prestataireID=%20111&auth=n

There is also a PDF file explaning what the star rating are worth:

http://www.meubles-a-louer.com/siteWeb/uploads/crit%C3%A8re%20de%20visite.PDF

I hope the links work!

As an aside, I've been waiting since early February for a classification visit from the Préfecture. I chased them in September and a visit was promised before end of 2005... It appears that because I have not joined GdF or CV, the local tourist chief has not been as diligent as expected and had not mentioned my place in any préfecture meetings.

It turns out that the guy from the Préfecture was around a few days ago for classification of a new CV gîte in a village nearby, but did not bother to visit me...

The local tourist chief, probably under the impression that I was going to cave in and join GdF or CV, was embarrassed and put on the spot when I told him I HAD been registered with the Mairie since February (he did not know, they had not told him, he had not asked) and told me he would get in touch soon...

Oh look, a flying pig!!!

Clair

• 2 months later...
I had posted the

necessary paperwork at the beginning of February and the guy form the

Préfecture has finally found some time to visit. If I had paid GdF or

CV, I would have ben assessed earlier apparently, as it was I had to

wait for the "gîte indépendant" assessor to be in the area.

He called me 2 days before the visit to ensure the gîte availability to be graded and confirmed that indeed, a
PRESSURE COOKER was on the list of requirements (which seems to date back from the 70's). So I went out to buy one.

During

the visit, he asked about accepting pets (there seems to be a bit of

pressure to make owners accept pets) and I explained the reasons why I

did not. He also asked about the smoking rule and was pleased to see

the smoke alarms, 1st aid kit and the extinguisher in the kitchen.

He

explained the rule about "espace habitable" (anything below 1.8m high

does not qualify) and why one of the bedrooms would not be suitable for

2 people (all the upstairs rooms are part of an attic conversion done

by the previous owner). All bedrooms must have some heating for the

gîte to qualify for "open all year-round" status, even a simple

electric heater will do (extra charge also acceptable).

He looked at

everything, from the mattresses to the iron, from the pool to how many

sunloungers we offered. He asked about rubbish bins, recycling policy

and what maps we had...

At the end of the visit, he told me what

his rating suggestion would be and explained how he'd reached his

recommendation. The gîte will be discussed at the next "Tourisme"

meeting at the Préfecture in March and I should hear their decision

soon after.

I paid €50 for the visit and returned the pressure cooker to Géant for a refund.

[quote user="Clair"]I
I paid €50 for the visit and returned the pressure cooker to Géant for a refund.

[/quote]

Well done!  Where do they get these strange ideas from.  I know there are fans of pressure cookers but surely if you are one it is just the sort of thing you would take with you for a self catering holiday, not expect it to be provided.  A french friend of mine was told by Brittany Ferries (via Gites de France) that she had to provide an electric teapot for her English clients.  I had never met an English person who had heard of one let alone used one until some English friends of mine contacted me one day to say that they had broken their Tefal electric teapot (they are glass) and could we obtain a new one for them as they are not available in the UK.  Meantime my French friend's teapot languishes unused in the Gite and a great curiosity for visiting English.

Liz