Re public liability Insurance

vervialle

I have been asked by some friends if I would be interested in renting my farmhouse out, I have never done so before and I would not without gaining the right permission, but what happens if they have a accident in your gite or fall down the stairs,do you all have public liability insurance and also do you get them to sign some sort of disclaimer for pool accidents, it would worry me to death as people seem to involve court proceedings at a drop of a hat these days.I have looked back a year on the threads and cannot see any information.

You need to contact your insurance company. We insure via Bank Populair and they charge 25€ extra per year for us being a Chambres D'Hôtes and that includes food poisoning insurance. I don't know about Gites but I can't see it costing that much more. I don't think France has the same 'sue them' attitude as the UK and common sense seems to play a far more active role here, well at least where we live.

My reply is purely anecdotal and not expert comment at all. (In fact I am just re-negotiating my own gite insurance). What I say may be at odds with Quillan but he may be the correct one.

AFAIK France has an attitude that 'there are no accidents' i.e somebody somewhere is responsible. The insurance companies will drill down to find a cuplrit/moneypot even if the supposed 'victims' are not of a 'sue-em' culture.  But do do your own research.

Sorry I though the original poster was refering to individuals sueing like in the UK. Owens88 is quite correct when it comes to French Insurance companies in as much as they will look for any way to either not pay out or to chase another company or individual untill they get their money. We always tell our none French guests to take holiday insurance which I was told is obligatory in France although I have never seen it written anywhere.

Owens88, what sort of 'extra' cover do you need for your gite? Just out of interest as it will be different than for a CDH.

Hi Vervialle

We are currently in the process of renewing our insurance and our devis includes liability insurance for the gites and pool.  Our architect also advised us to have a disclaimer written by the notaire for clients to sign with regard to the pool.  Eg if they wish to swim at anytime after the pool has been closed (night swim), then they do so at their own risk. The price for the increased insurance didn't diifer much from original, however we have aslo been advised the clients must have their own insurance also. Hope this helps

Kimberley 17

Here's the relevant page from the service-public.fr site :

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/particuliers/F2721.xhtml

Note that the section entitled "Assurance du vacancier" is addressed to French people preparing to go on holiday - most have a "villégiature" clause in their own multi-risques insurance. This is why you need to ensure that your guests have adequate holiday insurance of their own. More at www.ffsa.fr . Both official (legal) info sites.

But, as above, the best thing to do is discuss it with your insurance company and make sure your particular requirements are covered, especially with regard to the pool.  A disclaimer for night swims seems like very dodgy ground - would you want to enter legal battles if anything did go amiss?

Jo

Hi Jo

Apparently, it's the 'norm' to have such a document, (or so we have been told!)  It is just for protection regarding the legislation and pools.  We are obliged to post opening tmes and other info about the pool on the pool fence and interior, if clients choose to swim outside these times, then the advice given was to have a document drawn by the notaire outlining liablity.  if this is incorrect, can someone please advise what is the best course of action. Many thanks in advance

Kimberley

Our insurance through Britline covers our second home, including when

we let it out. As mentioned above, our insurer advised us that anyone

who rents should have their own liability insurance as if we make a

claim, whatever they pay they will seek to recover from whomever they

regard as the culprit - sic. I mention this insurance requirement on my

Terms & Conditions. For the British visitors, their liability cover

in travel insurance is essential.