French Taxes

Natalie

I am looking at purchasing a property in France to let.  Can anyone advise on the amount of tax that would be paid on the income taken.  I have read so many articles but felt the best people to hear from are the people who are doing it already!  I would be very grateful to have a rough idea of running costs for a 5 bedroom gite and if you were able to generate an income of 60,000 euros per year, how much tax would be deducted.

Any advise would be appreciated.

If I, or anyone else, was able to generate that kind of income from one gite, however luxurious, I would consider it astounding!! On an average season of 10 weeks that's 6000 euros a weeks - please can you tell me where anyone can get customers who pay that much - cos I want some[:D]  Most people earn more like 6000 euros a year!

A lot depends on location, facilities etc., but unless you are in the Alps, I would think it would be hard to achieve that occupancy for a house as big as that. Most people want properties for 4-6 people. As far as taxes are concerned, it depends on lots of things, such as the number of children you have, plus many other costs that can be taken into consideration in France. It also depends on whether you are a micro-bic or a réel simplifié - with the former you pay more tax, with the latter you pay 46% of profit in social contributions and get taxed on the remainder (if there is any).  If it is your sole source of income and you live in France, it is likely to be a réel simplifié.

Thanks for the reply Susanah.

It is in the French Alps I am looking for a property.  If feasible I am hoping to purchase the property and let it as self catering initially and once fully marketed hopefully also offer a catered service and move to France.  It is all research at the moment and looking in France at what you can get for what  money!  The main problem is the amount the mortgage would be on a monthly basis and working out if an income could be made.  I certainly do not want to rush things and end up like some people on those 'no going back' programmes!

Sorry if my first reply sounded a bit sarcastic, but I have honestly never heard of anyone making that kind of money with one gite.  The most expensive gite I could find round here was only 1500 euros a week and I think an 18 week season is unusual - though maybe not impossible in some areas.  I would be very very cautious about any kind of rental property requiring a mortgage.  Catered chalets (which are not really quite the same as a gite) require staff and staff in France are EXPENSIVE one bad season and you could be on the road to ruin if you have a mortgage.  Only my view not trying to sew doom and gloom.

Maggi

Thanks for the reply Maggi...I think I have confused gite and chalets :o/  The more I look into this project the more of an ordeal it seems it would be, especially (as you said) with a mortgage!

The chalet my friends own in a 10minute drive from Morillon in the Alps.  They do run it as a catered chalet and do well from it but have also expressed their concern of taking on a new venture with quite a high mortgage attached.  I have appreciated all the advice I have received and even it if can't happen right now I will keep researching (and improving my French) in the hope something will happen at some point.

Thanks

hi,slightly off at a tangent but Cerise said

"  The most expensive gite I could find round here was only 1500 euros a week and I think an 18 week season is unusual - though maybe not impossible in some areas "

It does depend where you are and what you provide. Good quality accommodation,well presented and in an area where people want to be will always sell!! We had well over 20 weeks booked last year,only 16 so far this year ( one week just cancelled) but plenty of time yet for autumn bookings. I think you were too optomistic with revenue projections though !! Costs are high too[:(]