Quiet season?

catherined

We usually avoid gites that have a TV for the reasons Catherine gave.  Personally, I watch very little TV at home either and would happily get rid of the thing - except hubby and kids wouldn't let me.  I would be far happier to arrive at a gite and see a bookcase full of books!

Kathie

Well done you....!

That is exactly what people with cotages need to do... offer something a little different... the sucess you are getting is deserved.

I do think though that one does not need to be obsessed by TV just for having one... as many others have said these devices have an on.off button....

Joe

[quote user="hastobe"]

I would be far happier to arrive at a gite and see a bookcase full of books!

[/quote]

Our book collection in France is growing- books travel over with us, and on the way back- their place in the suitcase is filled with local goodies!

And of course I leave the odd copy of my own books lying about in the desperate hope that they will be 'discovered' by some huge international publisher who'll give me loads of money so I can afford to spend much more time in France!!

[quote user="TheWalkingDude"] I do think though that one does not need to be obsessed by TV just for having one... as many others have said these devices have an on.off button.... Joe[/quote]

Exactly. I provide a large selection of games and books in the cottages too. Just because there is a TV, people are not necessarily glued to it 24 hours a day. It costs me quite a lot of money to provide the TVs, but as I said, out of peak season when hot weather is not guaranteed and it is not possible to sit outside all the time, then it can be useful to have and I have the shoulder season bookings to prove it. I'm afraid that along with a swimming pool, it is something that more and more people expect now from renting gites/cottages in France.

I guess at the end of the day it all depends on what market you are aiming for. Our location doesn't tend to attract the lager lout type of people.  We have a TV with UK/French/DVD/Video but like some other owners we also supply a library of books and large assortment of games for both indoor and outdoor activity. I'm not about to start encouraging my guests that they should or shouldn't watch telly - It's their holiday not mine.

My comment about £750.00 a week was not trying to say that there is not a market for it or indeed that properties aren't worth it. I was merely trying to point out that in an environment where there is a plentiful supply of properties, there are only so many people who can afford the more luxurious end of the market.

I don't believe that the internet is an added overhead, yes you have to pay for advertising but you have to pay for Ads in magazines etc. At least on the internet you have the flexibility to alter when you need to. Most people have a pc anyway so this is not normally a factor. Also it gives you a worldwide market, something you don't get with papers and magazines.

As for bumping up prices to then reduce them, it's not something I do personally, my prices are posted on my web-site so it would be a bit difficult. I have had 3/4 weeks of last minute bookings at a time when my property would have been left empty so it works for me personally. It is also good for the local area and the locals I employ to clean & maintain the house, so it benefits all round.

Fair enough,

I probably over stated the point... I was suggesting that if everyone refused late booking discounts then the late booking problem might be lessened. We are after all all in the same boat... Regardless of how much we need the money we'd all like to get the best price available and I just feel giving too big a discount is counter productive.

That said it would be hard to turn away a dicount request if you are eating dog food (not that i am suggesting you are....).

An example I am on about is when a man contacted my wife and asked for a peak season week. he knew the rate was £750 and told my wife he only had a budget of £400. She simply asked why he was calling if his budget was about half of our prices and he became very abusive. Many holiday makers think we Gite owners are all poor and starving..... If we'd have said yes to that booking we'd have just reinforced that impression. I'd much prefer an empty Gite myself....

Cheers

joe

[quote user="TheWalkingDude"] That said it would be hard to turn away a dicount request if you are eating dog food (not that i am suggesting you are....).

An example I am on about is when a man contacted my wife and asked for a peak season week. he knew the rate was £750 and told my wife he only had a budget of £400. She simply asked why he was calling if his budget was about half of our prices and he became very abusive. Many holiday makers think we Gite owners are all poor and starving..... If we'd have said yes to that booking we'd have just reinforced that impression. I'd much prefer an empty Gite myself.... Cheers joe[/quote]

Joe, I understand your point fully. Requesting that kind of discount is a joke and I would have given the same reply. I offer 5% -15% depending on how late the booking is, season and number of weeks taken. I don't tend to offer it in the winter months as the gas bill is horrendous and I'd simply lose money, so why bother. However I have found that for April/May and October it proves worthwhile.

Now shall I go for Laddie or Pedigree Chum for supper ?

Just kidding, thankfully I'm not at the dog food stage yet Joe !!!

I agree, there's no excuse for the abusive client who thinks they're doing you a favour by contacting you. We learnt that the hard way last year. We gave someone an early booking discount- nice to know there's some money coming in- but when he didn't pay the deposit or answer any of my e-mails, I cancelled the booking and gave the weeks to someone else (at a higher price). Then of course he got on his high horse and gave me grief over the phone, threatened to sue- (he said he was a lawyer- so he should have known that no contract, no deposit, no money no case)and took a few weeks to go away. He claimed it was our fault he was now too late to get an early booking discount from anyone else!

He was in England actually- most of our tenants come through English websites. No, I find the best way to deal with that kind of prson is to really annoy them by totally ignoring them. It deflates their exagerated sense of self-importance.

[quote user="Smiley"]

My comment about £750.00 a week was not trying to say that there is not a market for it or indeed that properties aren't worth it. I was merely trying to point out that in an environment where there is a plentiful supply of properties, there are only so many people who can afford the more luxurious end of the market.

[/quote]

There may be a plentiful supply of properties but I think in Peak you could definitely get more for yours Smiley! £450 is remarkably cheap for a 4 bedroomed house with a pool in Peak season. You don't want to price yourself out of the market, but I think you are doing yourself a disservice by only charging that amount. Out of peak, yes, we have to be more realistic, but August is the only month when demand gets anywhere near supply, so you have to make the most of it IMHO.

In the Peak weeks I would never discount, but surely in May, June and September, when there are few overheads, it is better to discount and get some money than have an empty house? I don't mind letting out the larger cottages to smaller parties for a reduced price if they haven't already been let for the full price.

Hi Susanah, The reason my property is so cheap for the peak this year is that the prices were set before I installed the pool, third bathroom and re-furnished much of the house, so those that booked have got a bargain for this year (They didn't know about the pool etc. when they booked). My prices will rise to reflect the investment next year, they have to.

As I said, I am fortunate in that I bought the house primarily for a holiday home and eventually my retirement (an investment for my future enjoyment more than a financial one) I would rather meet the running costs and keep the house maintained than see it sat empty for 10  months of the year. I reinvest as much as I can back into improving the house and its facilities. This way money goes into the local economy and I keep the house in a good condition. If I was relying on the house to give me an income then things would have to be different. 

I have read these posts with interest . I do not rent out my place in the Vendee which I could do as its 6 ks from the beach so  first thing ...I am not taking anybodies trade .

I have experience of "running " the holiday home rental  for two static caravans on a big commercial site in  Weymouth Dorset for my community service club in  Lions Clubs International  .  I have noticed that there is a demand for accomodation that can provide access for the disabled ...Our  "Holiday Home " was designed with the wheelchair used in mind.and on our club website we provide details of the size of the shower   (with a seat )  width of the doors details of ramp access etc...Think about it ...In Blairs Britain as it has been called here  there are lots of people with transport provided on motorbility allowance who take holidays .....I have provided accomodation to a family with a converted transit type vehicle who had two kids in wheelchairs .....I know they go all over Europe for holidays ......The point I  want to make is they and lots like them seek places by doing a search for "Holidays with wheelchair access...Holidays for the disabled etc "  A site we use to get people to  holiday in our clubs "Holiday Home"  is run by a lady who knowing I have a place in France offered to put it on the site if it was suitable as she had few French properties to offer. I have a bungalow so thats the sort of place they want. no stairs  Disabled may just  mean  a person with ticker trouble who cant do steps....some person with a knee joint replacement  that sort of thing .......Lots of people who consider themselves disabled have internet use and will search for their specific type of accomodation.....they may be able to get out of the wheel chair just cant walk far...this includes families with an infant  in a  wheelchair who may love to come to your place ..... if you have the access....... and if  they know where to find you ........do such a search yourself ...you might just find a new group of customers out there .....you might have the empty week they want.... with the access they want....  and you just cant find each other .

Just checked the Disabled Holiday Directory site we use ..........still only has 10 properties on their web site and this is for the whole of France .....a lot of people have come to us via this site and link to our web site over the years ....