Fly Infestation

jan

[:'(] Help PLEASE

I am infested with flies, anyone else had the same problem and knows of a company in Area 16 that I can call in to get rid of the nest. This time last year I went back to the UK for a month and came back to find (no kidding) at least a 1000 flies dead on the bedroom floors, on top of the wardrobes and  all over the beds,horrible but after about 30 minutes of hoovering I thought that was the end of it.  This year however they must have told all their mates because they are in all 3 holiday cottages. They must be behind the plaster board so fly sprays are of no use.

jan

This is a normal occurrence particularly in older houses, there is no nest as such, just hundreds of flies hibernating probably in the loft, several times during the hibernation the weather will warm up sufficiently for the flies to think summer has arrived and try to get out, if you have any gaps around beams or windows etc. no matter how small that will show some light into the loft they will try to get through.

Try and seal all such entry points and force them to go outside the way they came in

You may be able to buy a type of smoke bomb that will kill the dormant flies, but I believe the best way is to prevent entry into the rooms by sealing all gaps.

Hi Les

Thank you for your reply. The farmhouse is a long house which has been renovated into 3 cottages the upper story being used for bedrooms. I have been leaving the velux windows open during the day so that they can escape and hoovering up the bodies but I had hoped that I could get rid of them for good.  My late husband put in click flooring which needs a gap below the skirting board so it looks like they are coming in from there.

Once again I thank you very much for responding

Jan

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Bannon

Thank you for your response to my problem. I will try the flypaper, as you say not attractive but if it's effective so be it. I had assumed like other insects that there would be a nest that could be got rid of but it seems I was wrong. One side of my property is in full sun at the end of the day and I think that's where they came from in the first place but this year they have now moved along the building into the other 2 cottages. I now believe that they hibernate to the same place each year so I have come to the conclusion that for about 6/8 weeks it will be something I will just have to put up with.[8-)] Should I find a more permanant I will let you know because you have the same problem. [:D]

Jan