Bad Guests Charente Area

jan

This posting will probably only apply to Gite Owners in Area 16. The following family used to live in the area and like to return for holidays (they are the [name deleted by the forum moderators] family) The last minute booking came as a recommendation from a local family so stupidly I didn't take a damage deposit. This was the first time I'd done this and low and behold the trail of damage I was left with has proved to be quite costly. I would hate this to happen to anyone else so please be warned as even the normal £150.00 damage deposit would not have been enough.

Please note
: as per the forum Code of Conduct, There is to be no 'naming

and shaming' on the site. If you have any complaints about particular

individuals/companies, please contact the relevant parties or authorities.

Forum Moderators

Jan, do you live 'on site' ? if you don't I would appoint someone trusted to do as we do...check the premises over before they return the keys. Hubby talks to the guests whilst I look things over, believe me, we have caught a few out using this method. One family had 'accidentally packed' quite a few items from the property...clock radios, towels, DVD's...

I think maybe you need to 'up' your safety deposit for the future.

Hi Jura

Yes I live on site but unfortunately was ill in bed with the flu from the Monday of their stay until 2 days after they had left. My husband died 2 years ago just after we had finished renovating the last cottage so I was unable to do my normal check with the outgoing guest. Murphy's law ( or some similar law) dictates that this happened on the one and only time I didn't take a damage deposit.

Thank you for your kind words and I am pleased to say that other than on this occassion all my previous guests have been lovely and some have made 3 or 4 visits.

Jan

Yes Jan, the majority are are joy to have stay. It is always that one exception isn't it.

I have found that Murphy has a law specific to us accommodation owners...

I hope all goes well for you in the future[:D]