Rental apartment - Public liability Insurance

Ladoix

Hi,

Can anyone clear up a matter of public liability insurance please.  Where do you buy public liability insurance for up to £1 million cover and is it normally compulsory.  The apartment in question is normally let to french clients who have their own insurance but what about UK clients?

Thanks for any thoughts.

[quote user="Ladoix"]Can anyone clear up a matter of public liability insurance please.  Where do you buy public liability insurance for up to £1 million cover and is it normally compulsory.  The apartment in question is normally let to french clients who have their own insurance but what about UK clients?[/quote]

You would normally buy insurance as a "proprietaire non resident" policy from just about any insurance company. Costs around 80 euros/year, assuming that it is not a furnished let. For a furnished let it may be higher if the contents are to be insured. Essentially you are getting cover in case of eg floods caused by installations in your apartment causing damage to others, and for any recourse against you by third parties or tenants due to something going wrong in the apartment which is not the fault of the tenant.

If it is an apartment, then normally the building itself is covered under a joint policy, often arranged by the syndic on behalf of the coproprietaires or by the conseil syndical - depending on whether it is self-managed by the coproprietaires or they employ a managing agent (syndic).

Regards

Pickles

• 1 month later...
I hate to belabor this point, but I'm still confused.  I'm renting a furnished apartment in Paris for the month of April, 2010, and have been advised to obtain liability insurance, along with the standard trip cancellation insurance.  Another online search indicated that a tenant is not required to have liability insurance if the apartment is furnished.  A large clearing house in the US (which covers many types of policies) does not have the liability insurance available, which seems odd to me if this is such a common process. Can you please direct me to the definitive answer?  I want to comply with regulations, but I don't want to buy something not necessary.  There is already a mandatory 300 Euro fee as a security deposit.

[quote user="Cynmail"]I hate to belabor this point, but I'm still confused.  I'm renting a furnished apartment in Paris for the month of April, 2010, and have been advised to obtain liability insurance, along with the standard trip cancellation insurance.  Another online search indicated that a tenant is not required to have liability insurance if the apartment is furnished.  A large clearing house in the US (which covers many types of policies) does not have the liability insurance available, which seems odd to me if this is such a common process. Can you please direct me to the definitive answer?  I want to comply with regulations, but I don't want to buy something not necessary.  There is already a mandatory 300 Euro fee as a security deposit.

[/quote]

The thread above was about the need for the OWNER of a rented flat to have public liability insurance. You will be the tenant in a holiday let (which is a completely different situation to long-term furnished or unfurnished lettings): I would expect your potential liabilities to be covered (in the case of breakages, damage to the apartment, etc) by a damage deposit and (in the case of miscellaneous third parties) by your normal holiday insurance. I am not aware of any legal requirement for you to have insurance  in the circumstances to which you refer.

Regards

Pickles

• 4 months later...