gite registration

posy

I see that no-one has replied, perhaps they think, like me, that the question is a little abiguous.

It's not automatic; they won't know until you tell them.

Gite owners and owners of Chambre d'hotes need to register, at the very least, with their local mairie. There is a single page form to complete and you will be given a signed and stamped copy. No inspection, very simple. Call in and ask; this is nearly always the first port of call for any query like this. You may then feel it necessary, although it isn't obligatory, to become a member of Gites de France, for which you will have to be inspected and you will receive a "star rating".

Eventually the local tourist board may get in touch, and so will the organisation responsible for collecting "taxe de sejour", in our case this is the "communité de communes".

Thanks Jay, I didn't realise this had already been stated.

Posy, yes, you can download the form and send it to your mairie. However, I suggest that it's better to actually call in yourself; that way to get to meet the secretary or even the maire himself (or herself) depending on how big the town or village is. Nothing beats making personal contact.

[quote user="sid"]

Eventually the local tourist board may get in touch, and so will the organisation responsible for collecting "taxe de sejour", in our case this is the "communité de communes".[/quote]

I agree, take the form in yourself - nothing like a personal visit.

On the subject of taxe de sejour (or tax imposed on those staying in your gite) I have never been asked to pay that, maybe because it is such a paltry sum they can't be bothered to collect it. Now that I have said that they will no doubt send me a bill for the last 8 years!

Ha, yes Jay! I sent in the return for the 2 final quarters last year and they didn't bother to ask for the money, it was so little that the cost of a stamp would have wiped out any profit!! [:-))]

We've done a little better with bookings this year... but not much. Fortunately we don't rely on this income, but treat it more as a bonus, and anyway we use the accommodation for family/friends visiting too, which restricts availability.

Posy, get your form in and join the rest of us scratching for bookings! [:D] Oh, and I forgot to answer you question fully, I don't believe you will be refused, I think it's more a case of telling them you intend to open a gite.

Not all areas charge a taxe de sejour and I think the Charente-Maritime is one of those. I can't imagine that this is the case in bigger holiday places like Royan and la Rochelle but we have never been asked for it.

To the O.P just take your completed form to your mairie, and they will stamp it. They just want a record of what's to let and where and ours openly told us there are a lot of locals with gites etc who have not completed this task.

Yes, I agree, I know of other owners who are not asked for taxe de sejour.

After completing our registration in 2006 we had a visit from the Gendarmes!! "You have a gite, monsieur?" I then had merrily blabbed on about our place but then it transpired that actually they wanted my neighbour, who has a rather larger property which can accommodate 12 people I think. As soon as the mistake was realised they said, "OK, well just add you to the list", and the visit was terminated!!     What list? I couldn't tell if it was bluff but they said they keep a list "just in case soemone needs accommodation". What? Do they act as tourist board officials in their spare time? [:D] It was all very good-natured, but I couldn't help wondering afterwards if it was accidental or planned. I've not heard anything from them in the intervening 6 years.