Quotes and tax

guilloniereDennis

I recently accepted a telephone quote for some work only to find that when I received the bill it had been inflated by tax and extras.  Perhaps I'll have to accept this as a lesson to be learnt but does anyone know if as a general rule I must take it that all quotes for work in France do not include tax?  Also that extras or sundries will also be added though no extra work was undertaken?

Den

Never ever accept a telephone quote, you MUST have two copies on paper,one which you sign,accept and return to the artisan for your own sake, without this you have no proof or leg to stand on should there be trouble later on. All quotes usually are HT and then depending onthe work and nature of the building the TVA is mentioned extra at either 19,6% or 5,5%. It can be possible for extra items but these should be itemised on the final invoice. A good example of this is in roofing and we recently removed an old roof only to find the joists were twisted and eaten away in parts and certain other things missing, this extra work had to be carried out before the real re-roofing was started but upon a call to warn the client it was going to be extra,we then e.mailed a rough cost which was then accepted and returned as such.The extras were then itemised on the final invoice and paid for accordingly.

'I recently accepted a telephone quote for some work only to find that when I received the bill it had been inflated by tax and extras.  Perhaps I'll have to accept this as a lesson to be learnt but does anyone know if as a general rule I must take it that all quotes for work in France do not include tax?  Also that extras or sundries will also be added though no extra work was undertaken?'

Val has summed this up pretty well.

Sadly, it sounds as though you have had the work done already.

If you have not, then you have no legal obligation and can walk away from the deal.

If it involves a large amount of money then you could possibly pursue legal action.

as Val has said, No French or English, French registered artisan is going to commence work on the basis of a telephone quote.

With work on property in France (or anywhere) , extra items will occur - the client has the choice to accept these or not, but this has to be agreed beforehand.

If you had had a proper written devis, than the TVA (tax) would have been detailed. If your property qualifies then only 5.5%, otherwise 19.6%

It would be interesting to know if your artisan was French, English French registered, or otherwise.

Regards,

Bob Clarke
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/grindoux