New Pool Regulations

DMC

Pool owners (especially Gite owners with time constraints) now seem to be faced with the quandary of trying to meet the new regulations whilst being unable to decypher the definitive requirements. I certainly don't want to simply spend a great deal of cash on the ugly and expensive fencing that the pool companies are offering.

Could any of the forum members with the necessary intricate language and cryptography skills give definitive answers to any of the following:

1. Can an approved electronic pool alarm categorically replace all of the requirements for a fence?

2. What is the minimum/maximum height of the fence?

3. Can a smooth unclimbable wall replace the fence?

4. What is the minimum distance the fence (or wall) must be from the pool edge?

5. What is the maximum allowable distance from the pool edge?

6. Silly question maybe, but what is the pool edge?

7. Are there any limitations to the leisure facilities (sunloungers, tables, brollies etc) being within the secure area?

8. The gate must obviously be lockable and open outwards - any particular specification apart from the obvious smooth and unclimbable?

9. There must be many cases where the house or other obstruction or building is within the maximum/minimum allowable distances from the pool - is there anything specific in the regulations regarding this?
As a typical example, a house may be 3.5 metres away from the pool edge. If the regulations stated that the maximum distance is 3 metres it is a plainly ridiculous situation.

10. And finally, anyone know of other sources of information in plain English?

Wally

My understanding is as follows - but DON'T don't take any decisions based soley upon my understanding, which is based upon my imperfect reading of the AFNOR standards in French that I paid 80 for (simply because with all the vested interests around I wanted the actual info from the horses mouth - even if my French isn't perfect !!) :

>1. Can an approved electronic
>pool alarm categorically replace all
>of the requirements for a
>fence?

My understanding is that in practice, NO it can't. AT BEST it can replace other forms of security ONLY if it is working perfectly all the time and that there is ALWAYS someone within hearing distance should it go off.

Whilst I would love to avoid doing so (especially as we do not let the gite to any children) for peace of mind/insurance etc I'm going to DIY install a fence - when I can find a DIY one that explicitly meets the new standards !!

>
>2. What is the minimum/maximum
>height of the fence?

Minimum height 1 metre 10 centimetres. No maximum that I can find.

>
>3. Can a smooth unclimbable
>wall replace the fence?

Yes, provided it meets the AFNOR specification for brick walls (i.e. at least 1.10 m high, no openings or means of children scaling etc etc)

>
>4. What is the minimum
>distance the fence (or wall)
>must be from the pool
>edge?

1 metre minimum. No maximum that I can see

>
>5. What is the maximum
>allowable distance from the pool
>edge?

Can't see any

>
>6. Silly question maybe, but
>what is the pool edge?
>
Don't know !!

>
>7. Are there any limitations
>to the leisure facilities (sunloungers,
>tables, brollies etc) being within
>the secure area?

None that I can see

>
>8. The gate must obviously
>be lockable and open outwards
>- any particular specification apart
>from the obvious smooth and
>unclimbable?

Lots of requirements for the closing and locking mechanisms. If pool is for letting, must automatically close and automatically lock. Other specs have to be met as well.

>
>9. There must be many
>cases where the house or
>other obstruction or building is
>within the maximum/minimum allowable distances
>from the pool - is
>there anything specific in the
>regulations regarding this?
>As a typical example, a house
>may be 3.5 metres away
>from the pool edge. If
>the regulations stated that the
>maximum distance is 3 metres
>it is a plainly ridiculous
>situation.

Only bit of an answer I know is that no physical obstacle/scalable object can be within a 1m10cm arc from the top of the fence

>
>10. And finally, anyone know
>of other sources of information
>in plain English?

No perfect source that I know of (anyone else have one ??) but best I can find to date in English is :

English summary of the old DRAFT specification - some of which is the same as the new, but I've no idea what has changed !! :

http://www.saferpools.co.uk/afnorextract.pdf

English Q&A summary of new standards :

http://www.piscine-plus.com/faq.htm

Best of luck !!

Jean-Paul

I don't know if anyone has already come across this site, but my husband has just told me he has found the new regs in English here and also other useful info at the following web address:

www.saferpools.co.uk/decree.htm - so sorry, I don't know how to to make this a link....but I do hope it helps.

Please let me know what you think as this whole issue seems to be getting more and more confusing. Any help we can offer each other has to be a bonus.

Kind regards
Sandra