Pool fence translation please ??

Existential2

Folks

Can anyone with better French than I help to translate the following extract from the AFNOR standards for pool fencing :

"En cas d'utilisation d'un filet ou d'un grillage, la maille et son systeme de fixation ne doivent pas etre superieurs a une section de 5mm x 5mm."

If my bad French is anything to go by, I fear this says something like "in the event of use of a mesh/net or grill, the stitching/holes must not be larger than 5mm x 5mm" ...

... which would mean that most ordinary garden fencing would not meet AFNOR standards - and bang goes my intention of using 1.10m high plastic covered wire fencing/grillage (without spikes on top, of course) !!

Can anyone help/advise ?

Thanks !!

Jean-Paul

Hi Jean-Paul, my understanding of it is that you are correct., the mesh mush be a close woven type, so that small fingers and toes cannot get a hold.

Whilst on the pool fence topic I thought that I might add my views on the variou topics previously discussed on this site having now spoken to AFNOR, my insurers, various pool professionals and my notaire.

As for the regulations and the discussions on them it would seem that:

You the owner are ultimately responsible for the security of your pool. In order to meet the regulations if you rent your property you must have a system of security in place that meets the relevant AFNOR standard before 1st May. Any of the options will work, on condition that it is active whenever the pool is left unattended (even for a couple of minutes!). Of the options available the only one that is PASSIVE - that is to say, does not have to be actively put in operation, is a fence with a self closing, self latching, gate.

A slatted heavy duty cover needs to be closed whenever you leave the pool (and locked). An alarm needs to be turned on. An Abri must be closed (and locked). Are your tenants going to do this every time they walk away? Remember the responsibility lies with the owner. I know some people may try to get the guests to sign an indemnity form giving them the responsibility but you have to ask yourself, will it hold up in court?

I have an electrically operated safety cover - I feel that it is insufficient, it takes a few minutes to close every time and I know that no one will do this when they leave the pool. To conform with the norms I have to fit it with a lock and replace the current key operated switch with one that you have to hold whilst the cover moves. Also you must remember that it is your responsibility to ensure that the protection is in place.

You may not rent to children, but even so if someone wanders onto the property and drowns you are still responsible, the issue is not about trespass, it is about the fact that the law says that there must be a protective device in place at all times. You may set an alarm but if you are out who will respond. You may find that in those circumstances the law holds that the alarm was insufficient protection.

The CSC (French consumers associatiion) suggest layers of security. They advise you should have a fence or barrier, plus an alarm or any of the other options!

As regards AFNOR certification, anyone who sells or installs a fence or other protective device must confirm that it conforms with the standard. The standard says that it must be labelled as such on every piece. It also bangs on about notices that must be on the gate to says that it is a security gate and locked.

You can yourself build a wall (smooth finish and unclimable) or a fence and you are fully within the law. If you build a fence you must ensure that if it has a horizontal strengthening bar close to the ground, then the top of that is construed as the beginning of the fence so the top must be at least 1.1M above that. If you install your own protection you are effectively self certifying and you have to prove, if challenged in court that what you installed met the standards. I would advise buying or borrowing a copy of the relevant standard to cover yourself.

My insurer said that we remain insured whether we have a fence or not, but (in his words) "we will not go to jail for you". His view was that the law is separate from the insurance aspect.

As regards installation, it must be at least 1M from the waters edge - there is no limit to how far away it is as long as it remains effective. The walls of houses etc can form part of the barrier as long as their doors or windows do not permit access to the pool area and the walls are at least 1.1M high.

The gate, which must be self closing and self latching must open outwards from the pool. To open it must require two simultaneous or separate actions and it must not be operable by a child of five. A gate which requires a key, a token, or a swipe card is not acceptable.

You can find an example of a gate and latching mechanism at http://www.poolfence.com Go to the pool fence information part of the site and then click on self closing gate.

The fences on the market are sold as being removable they mostly just clip together and support themselves through tension (about 15 minutes to take them down and the same to replace them is the norm). It seems to me that in a rented property this is not a good idea especially if you do not live on the premises. Again, if a tenant takes the fence down, you are liable. In my research I have found that there is a system of semi permanent latching for the fence that poolfence (see above) make, which requires tools ( a screwdiver and spanners) which should be sufficient to put o