I know you have to have planning permission etc for normal sunken pools, but I'm sure I've heard that if only part of it is sunk in the ground that it doesn't apply - does anyone know if this is true and if so how much can be put in the ground before the regulations kick in?  I've seen a few companies that have the above part surrounded with decking which looks great so I'm quite tempted to go down that route.  I'll check with the marie as well because maybe it varies from area to area

It feels like I'm opening a can of worms with a pool - but I guess it's all worth it in the end with the summer coming and so much to look forward to

Trisha

my pool is fully sunken and we didn't planning permision, all we had to do was fill in a declaration de travaux, that was it.

best thing to do is ask at mairie, if they are not sure they will phone a man who is.

mike

I know, all I was saying is that in my case didn't need planning permission, so imagine would be the same for part sunken pool.

As for the tax you don't pay it on  above ground pools because they are tempory, part sunken I would have thought is hardly tempory, so would probly be taxable.

I filled in my declaration Aug 2003 and it was only 2 weeks ago I got anything back from tax office about it. 

If any part of a pool is in the ground (&, as far as I can ascertain, 1cm is enough), then it is considered to be an in-ground pool.

With all thhe regs, planning permission & such which that implies.

Because we would never have got PP for an in-ground pool, we went for an above-ground, which is much more of an eyesore.. C'est la vie.

I have debated for 2 days before adding my "grain de sel" to this topic, but this needs to be said.

The recent pool safety legislation makes it compulsory to fit an alarm or a fence+locked gate to any in-ground pool, to make it more difficult/impossible for a child to accidentaly fall in.

This does not apply to above-the-ground polls because they have removable steps, which make it almost impossible for a child to fall INTO the pool.

A child can still drown in on of them, as he could in a bath, but, as in a bath, he would have to get into it first.

If your above-the-ground pool is partly or totally in-ground, if you fit any raised decking which makes pool access easier, you are effectively cancelling this safety aspect and you are simply setting yourself up for potential liability.

The swimming pool vendor is NOT going to inform you, because he would loose a sale (or part of a sale). It's just not in his interest. However nice they look, these deckings MUST be backed up by suitable safety equipement...

If you do fit raised decking, think of a suitable answer to the safety aspect, because you would not want to have to explain yourself to a friend/visitor whose child has just fallen in accidentally...

Thanks for all the info, after looking into it we've decided that for the extra cost to go all out for a completely sunken pool.  Now we've just got to find one that we both like and that fit's our budget

Trisha

I hope I am not teaching you to suck lemons, but when buying a pool remember to factor into your budget all the pool peripherals e.g. fencing, gate, pool cover (winter & summer), sun loungers/pool furniture, pool cleaning items, possible heating sources. The list is not exhaustive. Outisde shower maybe it goes on.  www.zyke.fr are quite competitive but it helps when you are putting together a budget.  Dont know where you are but a friend of mine had some lovely decking built, solid wood etc and it looks great.  We are in bottom corner of 17 btw.

Deby (17)

Thanks Deby, we will certainly be gathering the prices for all the things we need but it's good to know of Zyke (hadn't heard of them before).  We've even considered solar heating, although we're in dept 03 so it's doesn't have such a sunny climate as yourselves, but every little helps

In the UK Paul did all our own decking so I'm sure he'll be having another go in France - he's now brought all his woodworking machinery across and can't wait to get started on a project.  We have a jacuzzi already (bought in the UK) so he can get started on the bits around that to keep him occupied

Trisha