Pool Filtre Problem

gmg

Hi

We have just opened our pool and have recieved conflicting advice - we have a diatomaceous earth fitre and wee told buy the previous owner that we added the powder at the beginning of the season. We have now been told by Aquilus Picine Company that we should be adding powder after a weekly backwash. Does anyone have any thoughts as there seems to be a vast difference.

You only need to backwash and clean your filter when it needs cleaning. You should be able to tell from the pressure when this needs to be done. With mine, I clean it when it gets to about 1.6/1.7 Bars. Under normal use it is usually around 0.9 to 1.2 Bars.  How often it needs doing is going to depend on how much use the pool gets. In the middle of summer when we have up to 24 people here all swimming with sun cream on (sun cream and lotions are your pools biggest enemy), it needs cleaning about every two weeks but at other times it will last for weeks.  About half way through the season, I also take the filter apart and hose off the "leaves" inside as they still get quite clogged even after backwashing.

After backwashing you will need to add more diatomite. Make sure it goes into the skimmer and not into the pool or you will have a big mess to clear up. Make sure you calculate properly the amount needed. If you use too much it will make your filter clog up quickly and difficult to dismantle for cleaning (I know that from my own experience in our first year !).

Thanks for information - we now seem to have another problem ( perhaps once I am swimming again I will think a pool is worth the effort) the guage is now reading just about 0.2bars!

If you want better filtration than DE with none of the hassel then send me a PM.

Aqua Crystal will give you filtration down to 1 micron using a standard

sand filter and there is no need to add or change anything for 5 years

or more. Its much more simple and more effective clean.

PM me if you want details

Andrew