changing the sand in the filter

Chauffour

To change the sand every 5 years in a domestic pool filter would be about right>

However, if the pool is being used in a commercial situation, say for a Gite, I would recommend it be changed every 3 years.

Moreover, if the filter is now due for a change, I would not suggest that it be filled with sand at all but rather Zeolite.

Sand is in fact an extremely inefficient filtration medium as it will only filter out particles bigger that 30-40 micron which is not much use in a swimming pool.

That means that everything smaller goes back into the pool and then round and round. This is a problem if you are sensitive to anything as most of the irritants, organic solids and nasties in the water, which are of concern, are smaller than 40 micron. Skin cells for example, hair, parasites, and .. and.. and (I'll stop there as it gets a little too much to stomach)

Now there exists quite affordable and easy to installed products, which will provide DRAMATIC improvements in filtration capacity. That is If you use Zeolite then you'll enjoy filtration of about 1 micron. This will catch nearly everything, which is of concern in the water. Not only that but it provides a chemical scrub as well assisting in eliminating phosphates, nitrates and ammonias, all of which are unwanted in the water and very hard to extract by other means.

So, if your filter is due for a change then I recommend Zeolite rather than sand.... that is, if you care about your water quality.

I hope that this has been helpful.

Andrew

NO Zeolite is not freely available which I find strange for such a great product.

PM me and I will send you details of how you can get it.

As Zeolite is lighter than sand you will use only 60% of the weight for the same volume.

The cost is many times more than sand but the benefits are immeasurable, surely every one who has used this in their filter will testify that it is worth every cent.

Its a lot of improvement for a comparatively small investment.

Andrew