winterising

Frank

HI everyone, i know this has been covered before as I have read the posts, but, my idiot question is..............do you need to complete the winterising fully if you will be onsite all the time??? As you have probably guessed, its our first pool!!! I know we are in september and the recommended temp is 10', but what happens if you do it early, for example when temp is about 15/20 degs??  Do you really need a winter cover???Any helpful easy to follow advice would be really great[:D] Do I need to visit the pool shop now for products?? I have read on one site you need to increase ph and chlorine levels to quite high levels, is this correct?? Many thanks in advance

Kimberly 17

wwwaaahhhoooooo back there ma girl.

not so fast... lets take it easy and go over this again. Just so that we don't get out heads all messed up over this thing.

Winterising is no big deal. Really. There .. I've said it.

In fact the bugs that grow over the winter can be killed off quickly in Spring by a Choc treatment of Chlorine and a vacuum.. In reality the products sold in the shops( 'Hivernage' )are I suspect more toxic than the algae, which will inevidably grow in the water over that time.

There are however, some problems in your questions.

Firstly, 'winterize fully', I don't understand that, what do you mean (please). Are you asking about active or passive winterizing (I suspect its passive), is it that you are trying to winterize over several months... I don't see why anyone would want to do that.

Secondly, (I understand this question at least) if you stop circulation and santization work before the water temp is 10degrees or below then you will grow algea, it will stay there all winter and you'll have to clean it up again in the Spring.

Thirdly, Winter covers are a great idea as Winter is a very messy season with lots and lots of stuff blowing about, all of which it seems will end up in your pool if its not covered. That is presuming that you sercurityis catered for by another device... but that's another story.

Wht you need to winter is ONLY ......Sodium Hypochloride (AKA Eau de Javel, Bleach, Liquid Chlorine) about 20 litres and some form of pH minus to keep the the pH in check at 7.2

DO NOT BE FOOLED INTO BUYING COMMERCIAL HIVERNAGE..... IF A RIPP OFFF... ITS BAD FOR YOU... ITS BAD FOR YOUR POOOL.

Aaahhh now I've got that out of the system I feel much better... turn the volume down again.

Kimberly... Please remember that even if you raise the Chlorine levels to choc the Pool to say 8 or 10 PPM the pH MUST ALWAYS remain at 7.2 or thereabouts.

I hope that I have been of help

Andrew

Thanks Poolguy[:D] With ref to 'winterise fully', I am here all the time and I am quite happy to continue my cleaning routine etc all through winter ( I even cleaned the pool in a storm, daft I know, but..heyho!!) So my question was, do I really need to go through all the rigmarole of winterising or can I just pootle along adding treatments as I go????

Many thanks again Poolguy

Kimberly 17

We live in northern 79 and it can get very cold here - down to -15 on

occasion and so we empty our 10x 5 (min 1.2 metres deep, max 1.6 metres

deep) pool to about a foot below the skimmers and drain the filter,

pumps etc and put on a heavy winter cover which is held down by a

combination of metal pegs and "stretchies". Would we still need the

full 20 litres of eau de javel?

Yes

You would still be advised to Choc before you put everything under the cover and drain. that will take about &à litres of Chlorine in the water (then circulate for about 3 hours).

and the the remaining &à litres to clean all of the fitting; skimmers, margelles and terrace so that the whole enviroment is .... well its nearly sterile.

If you do this at a time when the air temperature and the water temps are sufficiently low then you should have little to do in the spring.

Otherwise it might be a bigger job.

Kimberly, sure girl

you can keep up the cleaning through the winter, (that would be an 'active' winterizing) and just circulate to water thought the hours of the night when the air temp is below Zero.

Andrew