Chlorine Levels

londoneye

Hi

We have been away for a few days.   Coincidentally, the day before we went it was time to add chemicals (tablets and the blue gunk - Waterair chemicals).   We then put on our security cover.

The water looks fine, the pH is fine, but the chlorine (both free and combined) seems to have increased quite a lot since the last time I tested.   Cyanuric (sorry being lazy, I hope that is spelt correctly) acid level shows as 'base' level on strip, thus I deduce this is not the problem.

The cholorine levels are not showing as in the 'too high' range yet, just seem much higher than the last time I tested.   

I was wondering if this was because we had covered the pool, or whether there is some other reason and what I should be doing to address it ?

We have uncovered the pool again now we are back, as the water is still too warm to winterise. 

During normal operation (and particularly on a sunny day) the ultra violet part of the sun's spectrum breaks down the chlorine compounds which you are using to keep your pool sterile. The stabiliser (cyanuric acid) is use to slow down the rate of decomposition of the chlorine compounds and thus maintain a higher concentration for longer. With a cover in place the sun is obscured, therefore the decomposition is slowed down and the chlorine concentration in the pool decreases only slowly.  Your additions do not need to be as frequent.

I would urge you to get an electronic meter for checking your pool chemistry since the other types of testing ( drops and litmus paper are not very reliable). Perhaps you have pool shop, with an electronic meter, near you that can confirm your results.

Regards. JB