Pump for removing water from pump house

londoneye

After lashings of rain for a couple of days, we woke up this morning to the pool house full of water.    The pump is below ground in a well, which had more than 8 inches of water in it.   Needless to say the pump had tripped out.   Thankfully our pump must be made of stern stuff because we bailed out, removed it, dried it and it seems to be working, much to our relief and surprise.  

This is the second time this has happened, and we have done everything we physically can to take water away from the area.   Our next thought is a small pump which will come on automatically when the water reaches a certain level.   We are pump rich in this house, but none of them seem to do the job properly.    We have one with a paddle which does seem to work if the water level is about 5 or 6", but we need one which automatically evacuates when the water level is a couple of centimetres high.

Anyone got such a thing ?   We are beginning to be seriously paranoid about rainy days now ..

Any thoughts appreciated.

I would try the following. Dig a hole in the floor of the well and install a large bucket to act as a sump. Then use the attached to pump out the hole. You need the bucket because the blue box it a float which the pump only runs when there is enough water cool the pump. They have other more expensive pumps which work with foul water.

http://www.castorama.fr/store/CatalogueIndirecte/jardin-arrosage-pompe-pompe-vide-cave-eau-claire/p-categorie_7772-casto_product-PRDm620838.htm

It sounds like whoever installed the pump/pumphouse has installed the pump below the surface level of the pool thus keeping the pump primed at all times, they have created a chamber below ground and have not thought about the rise in the water table during the winter.

If you pool is still under guarantee the call back the installer to put the problem right or if it is not guaranteed the I would do as previously advised and dig a hole in the concrete base and fit a bucket to act as a sump for the float on a pump and evacuate the water that way.

Just as a matter of interest, how far away from the pool is the pump/electrics etc?

Hope this is of assistance.

Victor 

Well I suppose I shouldn't admit this, but sadly WE fitted our pool, so in a moment of err, well, call it what you will, we are paying the price.  We were so caught up in the pool instructions which were adamant that the pump was best placed below water level, that we didn't really consider toooo much the issues thereafter.   We have found a tendency to stupidity has developed in us both since we moved to France - wonder if its just us, or if it is others too ??

Pump is correct distance from pool - we followed our instructions slavishly (too slavishly as you can tell !).

Panic over for time being as it has stopped raining and we have put some more remedial earthworks in place while we consider next move.   We are loth to dig hole in concrete (yes, us again !), but may have to go that way.

thanks for all suggestions.

Can you not put a cover or roof over area and slope it away from pump well and then a small ditch if necessary??

MY PUMP HOUSE IS BELOW WATER LEVEL OF POOL BUT  I DO NOT

HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM.

WHWRE ARE YOU LOCATED?

I AM NEAR COUSSAC BONNEVAL.[8-)]

If you do not want to dig a hole in the concrete at the bottom of your pump enclosure, have you thought about raising the base, i.e. put in a false bottom and raise the pump.

A small quantity of decking and a few reasonable size joists should give you the required height needed to create a sump, although you might have to do a bit of work to you pipes etc and do not worry about the pump still being below the surface water level of the poolm just fit a non return valve, this should solve you problems long term as well.

Hope this is of assistance.

Regards

Victor

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all - after yet another day spent bailing out the pump house, we have decided on a bilge pump.  I have ordered one, but am now somewhat confused about what kind of adapter/transformer I need.

The pump spec says 2 amp fuse, but I am not sure whether this is enough information to get the correct transformer.   Obviously it has to be a 12 volt transformer.   What do they look like please, I have looked on internet and they seem to come in all sorts of shapes and sizes, I thought it would be a little plug in thingie, but maybe not ??!!

Confused from Limousin ......