Swimming Pool Security

maritel

I am just about the buy a property in France and the vendor wants to charge me £2,500, yes that's right  for his two pool sensors.  Is he not legally obliged to leave them as an integral part of the pool?  Any advise would be good, as I have not yet completed the deal.  Thanks

Welcome to the forum!

Crikey - I know nothing about pools but that seems an excessive price.

If he is not obliged to leave them (no idea, others will be along soon) I would check on say ebay to find the new retail price and assuming it's a lot less, offer half of that (they are used after all) if that is not accepted them tell him to take 'em and get your own new ones or a pool cover or whatever the regs allow and you want.

He is obliged to include in the sale price any device that is used to ensure that the pool complies with the security regulations.  If the pool does not comply, he can't sell the house, simple.

He is either trying it on, or ignorant of the law.

As he is trying in on regarding the pool sensors, I would ensure that you have in writing what pool equipment he is including in the sale.  Some of the equipment can be very expensive such as robot cleaners and you should be able to strike a deal on this equipment as it is often essential and costly to replace.

Baz

Maritel

I concur with the advise above, and the Notaire should have knocked that one on the head immediately, being an Officer of the State he is obliged to ensure that the residence complies with the law before it is sold, hence the security is not an 'extra', it is an obligation. The price you quote for the equipment is rather high; it must be an infrared perimeter alarm or the like. If it is just an immersion alarm then you are be taken - big time. As Baz advised, get a list of the equipment for the pool, as many vendors strip the pump room before they go, leaving you with nothing to maintain your pool with.

In addition, I must warn you that the standard of pool construction in France is woeful even from so called 'reputable' marques, we have visited countless residences which have been newly purchase to report on a pool which is unsaveable- that is to say, we commonly advise the new owner that the only thing which is saveable is the 'hole'. All of the rest, particularly the electrics is either not up to code or not suitable for the purpose. It is the habit of many pool-builders in France to specify equipment far below the capacity considered normal to run a healthy pool. So if you are not expert yourself and you want a report on your pool before you buy (so that you really know what you are buying) the fee for a site visit and report will potentially save you 10's of 000's of euro in renovation of the 'pool' later as you can renegotiate the price in the light of the report, good or bad.

PM me if you want help.

Andrew

Pos edited by the moderators. Please do not advertise or post your products or services on the message boards.

Depending on the type you can buy this equipment for about 400 upwards.

Dont let people frigthen you (all consultants look to do that to create fear and then demend on the back of it!), of course there are bad installations, just as there are dodgy builders in the UK (but far fewer instances of pools in France). Having tapped our network of locals (and we have been here a long time) there is only one known instance of a bad installation and that was a plastic/resin pool put in where it shouldnt have been (the ground was moving too much for this type of pool).

Sounds like the owners trying it on a bit.