Crushed Glass Filter Media

Have been reading various sites yesterday and it seems crushed glass could be a good alternative to Zeolite.  I have no plans on changing in the next few years since I have just gotten and am happy with Zeolite, but was curious of the professionals views on here (and anybody else too).

Sharkster.

Sharkster

I have not heard of using glass as a filter media, but chemically there are similarities between glass and sand, - essentially either one would be just an inert filter material.  On the other hand zeolite is certainly not inert.  This should give zeolite particular strengths as a filter media, but also a couple of minor drawbacks.

Dave

I saw it discussed on an american pool forum and the experts rated it better than zeolite and sand.  I have no plans to change for at least 3-7 years (just put Zeolite in my filter), but was curious what people this side of the pond thought.

Here is a link with all the claims

http://www.glasspackfilter.com/

Poolguy

You already know. 

1.  You can go and buy suitable sand almost anywhere very inexpensively (even the sheds have it), whereas zeolite is in somewhat more restricted supply. 

2.  With zeolite you have to be a little more careful about what else you throw into the pool.

I have to admit that I haven't tried it, but will be very tempted to do so when the time comes.

Dave 

Zeolite, not so easily found in the sheds, BUT it will filter down to 1 micron whereas NEW sand will go down to about 20 microns and after a few months you are looking at 30 microns.

Sand, you can 'throw', as you call it, floculant into you water to try to bring the filteration slightly more into line with a fine filtration system, but the reason you have to be 'more careful' and not spend out on a floculant with Zeolite is that it already filters so fine that a floculant will possibily choke it, so you don't need to chuck anything else in with it. It is it's own floculant if you like to call it that?!

OK Zeolite is more expensive, but would you expect to but a 'Roller' for the same price as a Renault 5? If you can then please PM me with the details??

P.S. My Zeolite was delivered to my door!!!!!!! Was your sand?[:D]

Who is getting anything but 'cool' as you call it?  (very 60s man!!) I too was just stating facts. Not just as fed to me by a web site, but from what I have experienced in the 2 years I have had Zeolite in my pool.

Good quality glass is made from silica sand. I wonder what 20 grade silica swimming pool filter sand is made from [8-)][I] ???

[quote user="buckdendave"]

Poolguy

You already know. 

1.  You can go and buy suitable sand almost anywhere very inexpensively (even the sheds have it), whereas zeolite is in somewhat more restricted supply. 

2.  With zeolite you have to be a little more careful about what else you throw into the pool.

I have to admit that I haven't tried it, but will be very tempted to do so when the time comes.

Dave 

[/quote]

Well far from being draw backs Dave, I see both f those points you made as being benefits of the product. I suspect you are being provocative without cause.

Zeolite is widely available in the rest of the world and as France catches up it will be here too soon. In the Pool Spa Expo in Lyon in November I expect to one of 7 Companies exposing Zeolite products. The fact that the Brico's don't yet sell it speaks for itself.

I have long pronounced the virtues of 'being careful what you throw in your pool', and will continue to do so in the hope that the standard of swimming pool water quality in France can be raised from the current level which is well below the World standard. I blame the persistent gaulish resignation to 'barely enough' which would be described in Oz as 'she'll be rite mate'. Well I want to make the point that it will not be right and it isn’t good enough to swim in a pool with poor water quality, its dangerous and unnecessary. Products like Zeolite with their cleansing properties are a serendipitous gift that should not be scoffed at out of ignorance or complacency. If you might accuse me of religious fervour then let be to the gods of clean, clear and Fresh water  - its preservation, its maintenance and enjoyment, I will do want I can to protect that ideal. QED

Andrew

Nothing like Northender. DE is a fullers earth if I remember correctly and zeolite is, for want of a better discription, volcanic sand and is full of holes, as opposed to silica sand which is solid. If you google zeolite you will find a mountain of information on it.

Any provocation not intended.  I did say that I was considering trying it myself next time, which indicates that despite the two drawbacks that I listed and have been acknowledged, that I think it could be worthwhile.  I think I have taken a very evenhanded view.

This forum is surely intended for sensible debate - and that means airing points for and against. I do this perhaps in the vain hope that someone won't jump on every comment in an extreme way - as if they had been personally criticised and had something to defend at any cost.  Nor use the forum too overtly for commercial benefit.

I am not a pool professional, but I do know a bit of chemistry (professionally), and I do have a pool, which I manage to keep in fairly good order, without seeking external help.  Many others are not in this position.  There should be no monopoly on giving advice or making comment here.  Sorry to preach.

Dave