Pump Problems

We recently purchased a house with an existing pool it is approx 11m x 5m has three skimmers but only one pipe back the pump plus a pipe for the main drain.There is the usual sand filter. The problem is  that when I put the pump for filtering on automatic its fine until it shuts down then it seems to draw air in and won't start again properly until it is primed manually . This a real problem for me as we need to be able to leave the pool for a few days to two weeks at a time now and again and obvioulsly would like to leave the filtering o auto. Can anybody suggest how to cure he problem ???

[quote user="foxy lady"]

We recently purchased a house with an existing pool it is approx 11m x 5m has three skimmers but only one pipe back the pump plus a pipe for the main drain.There is the usual sand filter. The problem is  that when I put the pump for filtering on automatic its fine until it shuts down then it seems to draw air in and won't start again properly until it is primed manually . This a real problem for me as we need to be able to leave the pool for a few days to two weeks at a time now and again and obvioulsly would like to leave the filtering o auto. Can anybody suggest how to cure he problem ???

[/quote]

The main difficulty seems to be that you have an air leak causing the system to depressurise when the power is off. If this is the case then it is a problem to be sure.

TO veryify can you advise if;

1. your pump is above ther water level, if so by how much.
  2. What is the power of the pump and capacity of the pump/filter system.
  3. Are there any air bubbles visible in the preskimmer
  4. Are there any air bubbles blowing into the pool.

The answers to these questions might offer a cause, the solution to which might also become evident.

Andrew

If the cap on the pre pump filter is not completely water/air tight that can let air into the pump housing every time the pump is switched off... Our pump is almost exactly on the water level and that had a similar problem a few years back.