Pump, strange behaviour

f1steveuk

This is an odd one! Just returned home after six weeks. Pool level low (just on the return jets) so topped it up.Water clear, but a little brown powder on the bottom (probably rotted leafs), so I switched the pumps to constant, added some shock chlor. Just as I was leaving the pool area, the pumps cut out, then 20 seconds later, back on again. Ran for two minutes, then cut out again!.

I returned to the timer, and found it was definetly on "constant", so returned to the pool, and it was still doing it. So I backwashed it, and it cut out after a minute doing that! So I tried vacuming it, no problems at all! Hoovered all the brown stuff out, and of the sides, taking thirty minutes, and the pump ran constantly!

So I returned on the settings on the valves, and switched back to filter, and it worked. For a while. Now I tried hoovering, and again the pump ran no problems. I still can't run a backwash. If I stay by the pump house, when I turn the pump off, there is a hiss, like pressure being released. This sounds like it's in the drain pipe. I checked the drain pipe valve, and it is stuck open (but it only drains when you set the the main "valve" to drain. But I am assuming the pump is cutting because of a pressure build up?, or an air lock? Do I need to replace the drain valve, will that cure it, or do I have to bleed the air somehow. It's very frustrating as I am unable to filter the pool, oh yeah, and use it!!

Hello Steve,

the pump may have cut out initially due to overload caused by not being run for a while or debris in the pump bowl. If there is air in the pump you'll probabley hear it hissing as it gets suction and then loses it?

I'm not sure of  pool set up's but would suggest that if you've got any sticking valves you need to sort that 1st. If it's a non return valve a LIGHT tap with a hammer may do the trick?

Best of luck.

Charlie.  

Well it was runnng while we were away, on a timer. There is a hissing when switched off, which seems to be coming from the waste pipe (!!), but not from the pump. I don't know if there are any one way valves anywhere, it's all a bit odd really.

I've never seen the drain valve closed in all the time we've been here, nor before that. Inside the pump electrical connections box, there's a white cylinder, Facon, which is some sort of relay/switch/cut out, and I'm suspecting that......

Hello Steve,

are we saying the pump is now running OK and not cutting out? Not into electrics but the white cylinder you describe is the condenser to allow starting the motor under full load without tripping (I think)??? 

Obviously without seeing the valve set up thats about as far as I can go. If you can post pic's that may help.

Charlie.....

Yes your right, a condenser, I looked at it and my mind went back to points and plugs ignition, which had a condenser to prevent burning the points (that shows my age!), got one, and no different! Still cutting out. The thermo/switch was fine, but then I made a dicovery, it has two thermo/switches!! One floating around in the junction box, and another, concealed under the box, and pressed on to the motor casing. Moved it, and Robert is your mother's brother. It's been running for an hour now, so it's a new swtich. Thanks for the input.