Is my pump now useless?

Hi all,

I was topping up my pool the night before last with the hose pipe, just before i went to bed i realised i had left the hose on so popped out to switch it off, i left the hose in the pool, in the middle of the night i awoke to hear my filter pump making a loud noise, it was due to switch off by the timer so i didnt bother getting out of bed to switch it off (5am). imagine my surprise the next morning to find my pool half empty [:$] the hose had syphoned the water back out!!!!!

I spent yesterday re-filling the pool and this morning switched the pump on to filter and it is now not working, it is making the normal noise but not pumping the water to the filter etc. the pump skimmer is half fall with water so i released the pressure to fill it to the top and this has made no difference at all!

So my question is does my pump now need replacing? It is only 2mths old and cost me 300! [:(]

Thanks Julie

[quote user="Barbel Bob"]

it is making the normal noise but not pumping the water to the filter etc. the pump skimmer is half fall with water so i released the pressure to fill it to the top and this has made no difference at all!

So my question is does my pump now need replacing? It is only 2mths old and cost me 300! [:(]

Thanks Julie

[/quote]

Hi Julie, sometimes the pumps are a bit tricky to prime, the good news is it making the normal noise. Can you see the fan blades at the motor end rotating or feel the slight breeze?

Does the pump suck the water out of the pre filter (pump skimmer) at all? Assuming it is a sand filter setup.

Try disconecting the pipe from the pump to the sand filter at its highest point, (you may need to close the valve on the filter) and fill the pipe with water, reconnect open the valve on the sand filter and try starting again.

A pump cost 300 euros should have a thermal cut out to save itself but thats another issue.

Good luck

Thanks Teapot and Chris for your replies..........fingers crossed it does need priming so i have got the pumps instructions out and its all double dutch to me, it says ' close gate valve in suction and discharge, and release all pressure from system before proceeding..........if i understood this bit then i could have a go myself, if not will have to wait for bob to come home.

Chris my phone does not reach the pool and for you to talk me through it i would need to be right next to the pump, thanks for the offer to ring you though. So if you could explain the bit above on a reply then i would be grateful.

Teapot in answer to your questions...it does not suck the water out of the pump filter but i can feel the fan working, it is a sand filter set up.

Thanks

j

I will try but its better to talk

Do not know if the sand filter and pump are under the pool water level which changes what you need to do

Try this for a start

Switch all off

put sand filter on circulation

switch on,

call me any way

chrish 

errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!

I stopped the pump and closed the valve on the filter and on the discharge pipe, i only had one gate valve on the pipes, then released the pressure and removed the trap lid, made sure there was no debris. OH then came home and dismantled the pump to check the impeller was not blocked. We put it all back together and filled the trap with water etc then tried the pump again, it still does not pump the water around? OH also checked the pipes for a blockage.

What does priming actually mean, i thought it just ensured the water was in the trap? anyway we are stumped and not sure what to do next? other than call a contractor out?

Julie

well Julie

Do not know what to say now!

You seem to have done all the normal things, if the pump is primed then the water should flow!!!

priming means that no air is in the system and that water can flow through,

Would make a visit but you are a long way away

Sorry

ps call if i can give any more info

i will do my best to help

Chrish

Hi Julie, I am not a pro pool person, but... If you look at the multi port valve connected to the filter, the one that says filter, backwash, rinse, closed, etc. in 4 different languages.

Take the filter position as 12 'o' clock as if it were a clock face. You should find the 'close' position at about 5 'o' clock. Put the multi port valve to 'close', remove the cover from the filter on the side of the pump (the pre pump filter), fill the filter with water and replace the cover quickly ( this stops the possibility of the water draining away in the pipework).

Put the multi port valve back to the filter position (12 'o' clock) and switch the pump back on.

Does the pump suck the water out of the pre pump filter?

Hi,

I have done a test that teapot advised me to do, he has diagnosed a problem with the pump that needs to go in to a service agent to be repaired, does anyone know who can repair a spagold pump in the perigueaux area?

Thanks jonzjob and chris for your input! much appreciated, i think i  know more about a pump than i ever intended too my feet have been wet all day!!!![:D]

Julie

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Julie,

Sorry to hear the news, if the pump got that hot it could have melted the bearing mounts in which case it could be true. It is also possible that not being a common pump, it is easier to recommend a new pump (easier for the pool shop that is) yep I am a cynic. Have the repairers actually shown you or your O/H the damage? I show customers damage parts, its just how I work.

Have you still got the manufacturers link I sent? Try emailing them as a last ditch attempt they may deal direct as they are trying to establish themselves in Europe. It may help to tell them you are part of the largest  forum for France and everyone wants to see how good their company is, it is also could when talking to the Chinese to mention Honor, they do put a lot of store by that.

If you need a new pump PM Chrish, try to get one with a thermal cut out and well known with spares available.

• 3 weeks later...

Teapot,

We have finally bought a new pump, and paid 300e for it, it is brilliant and seems much better than the spagold pump we originally had. We have never been back to pick it up from the repairers, well we tried twice and both times they were shut so in desperation we bought a new one.

The pump ran and the water was chrystal clear we thought our problems were over then...................................for some reason when i went out to the pool this morning for checks it had lost a lot of water, luckily we had not ran the pump during the night as we normally do, so no damage to the new pump. The pipe from the pump to the filter was leaking and the pipe had swollen to twice its size at the connection to the filter?????   We have spare pipe but would be interested to know the cause of this new problem?????

I am still smiling at the moment (just)

Julie