Pool woes

osie

Hi

Can anybody suggest what I should do...

The swimming pool is an in ground one with a liner.

It has not yet been closed down for winter yet as I had noticed that water was disappearing since August and I wanted to wait too see if it was over a longer period and how far(if it only went to one hole and then stopped).

I now know that it is dropping at about 1cm / day (the pool is 11*6) and it has gone beyond all the holes... except the one on the bottom of the pool.

I know it is not to do with the ice as there is not much at the moment and it was happening already in August.

My problem is that I can not find any water leaks and the vidage pipe does not seem to be evacuating water either.  I am also quite sure that I did not have to top the pool up last year during winter and infrequently during summer.

I guess there are a few possibilites...

1. There is a slow leaking visible pipe that leaks but not enough to be clearly noticeable.

2. It is evaporating but I do not think so.

3. Maybe there is a hole in the pool... Is that feasible?.. I have no idea.

Any suggesting for fault finding would be much appreciated.

osie

is the pump running? if so for how long? is the pool clean (should be able to see any holes in the liner). If it is running then could the valve be leaking to waste? Could the pipework for the  returns be leaking?  I presume the skimmer pipes are drained and empty now and the valves for the skimmers is closed? and that you are taking water from the sump to supply the pump (if running) If the pump isnt running it could be a leaking joint or pipe from the sump, or a hole in the liner if the returns and skimmers are above the water line.

Steve

Osie

If you send me your details then I can offer you an electrostatic leak detection to find the site of the leak.

Its very accurate but it takes time to scan the pool. Once we know where and what it is then a remidie can be devised.

I can also pressure test the pipes if that is the site of the problem. But you'll need to have water in the pool for this to take place.

Andrew

Hi

The pump is not running.  The pool is fairly clean but with a fair few leaves which I cant seem to suck up as the water is too low and does not have enough suction.

I used the aspirator with a robot attached to try to do it without success.

The skimmers which are closed still have some water in them although I could open them up to remove the water.  I guess this means there is no leak there?

I have noticed a bit of the liner is wrinkled which was not before.

If it helps I leave the valve on 'filter' even though I have not run the pump.

I will put a bucket under the exposed piping to see if anything collects and check the waste pipe too in case some has leaked there.

poolguy: What sort of tests do you have... I guess I should start off with my bucket first

Thanks

osie

Osie

I was assuming that you had already done a 'bucket test', to establish definatively that there was a leak.

Once that is established then you have the choice to try to search for the leak using investigative techniques or you can do the same job in a fraction of the time elecrostatically. The readings that are given are quite accurate and conclusive, for detection of the site of the leak. You can read more here http://www.leaktools.com/products/vinyl_detector/

This is a very expensive tool but it worth it weight and will save alot of heart ache, if you want to take advantage of that then you'll need to send me your contact details by PM.

Andrew

Hi Poolguy... that is too expensive.. I am thinking about the heartache if I spend that much.

Can someone tell me if there is any harm in leaving the water to leak until it leaks no further... even if this means that the pool will empty itself.

I am quite close to the under water lights and read that this may be a high chance area.  Otherwise it will leak to the sump and then I will be able to check there.

The problem being that even if I find a leak, the water is too cold to go in and fix it so it would be preferable to have the leak above water level.

I have emptied the pump and sand filter.. so it has been winterised.

Thanks

osie

Osie

You don't have to buy the leak detection machine..... I've already done that bit.

Leak detection is just a matter of time on site and travelling costs.

Can't heal about the weather, its cold everywhere...... snowing on me at present.

Andrew