Cleaning the liner above the water line.

Northender

Hi

I have tried a couple of proprietry cleaners (gel) to try and clean the liner above the water line , but they don't seem strong enough.

I am reluctant to try a stronger household cleaner for fear of damaging the finish.

Anybody out there with any ideas.The liner is 4/5 years old.

[quote user="Northender"]

Hi

I have tried a couple of proprietry cleaners (gel) to try and clean the liner above the water line , but they don't seem strong enough.

I am reluctant to try a stronger household cleaner for fear of damaging the finish.

Anybody out there with any ideas.The liner is 4/5 years old.

[/quote]

My Colleague Teapot is asking for the colour as it will identify the stain.

If it’s black then it’s a fungus base and I have a gel cleaner for you, which is biodegradable and will not harm your water quality. If it’s yellow then it’s most likely suntan cream and the solution to that is not pleasant, but cannot be done by a private owner. Its perhaps better to consider a Ceramic frieze to cover it up.

If there are other colours involved then we have to deal with them in order..... if its tartan colour then immediately stop playing the bagpipes and drinking whisky as you have an outbreak of ‘gallopingscottssyndrome’, which should be of great concern, and treated without delay.

Happy Hogmanay ta ale.

Andrew

Thanks Teapot and Poolguy.

The stain is dark greyish in colour , and always seems worse after a period of rain , so judging by your comments it is probably fungus based.

I'm interest in your comments about a ceramic frieze , would the additional weight not try and pull the liner away from the pool wall?

I'm not actually resident in France but will be back at Easter.

I'm sorry to report that it's a boring colour I'm getting ready for a wee dram!

Yes good ole ' dark grey'....

Fungus .... that's for sure.

We've got just the stuff, ... one squirt...... wait a minute.......wipe it off (with a sponge)

Lovely job.

Send me a pic and i'll be able to know better.

Andrew

Ceramic freize fits into a rail which is hung on the liner fixing rail under the margelles.... no bother!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

I have a similar problem with a green/yellow mark at the waterline. I have been using a Floatron ioniser for the last 2 years (which I must say has given excellent results with regard to water clarity without chemicals) and am not sure if this staining is a result of this (it gives off copper ions) or something else. The UK suppliers of the Floatron says it is a build up of sun-tan lotion and that I should use sodium bicarbonate to clean it. I have tried this as well as neat pool acid, javel and the commercial gels, all to no avail. It won't shift. My conclusion is to cover it up and your comment about ceramic friezes interests me. Can you tell me where I can get it as I have been unable to find anything on the web.

Thanks

Chris

Aubignan (Vaucluse)

[quote user="ChrisenProvence"]Hi,
I have a similar problem with a green/yellow mark at the waterline. I have been using a Floatron ioniser for the last 2 years (which I must say has given excellent results with regard to water clarity without chemicals) and am not sure if this staining is a result of this (it gives off copper ions) or something else. The UK suppliers of the Floatron says it is a build up of sun-tan lotion and that I should use sodium bicarbonate to clean it. I have tried this as well as neat pool acid, javel and the commercial gels, all to no avail. It won't shift. My conclusion is to cover it up and your comment about ceramic friezes interests me. Can you tell me where I can get it as I have been unable to find anything on the web.
Thanks
Chris
Aubignan (Vaucluse)
[/quote]

Chris, don't say you have an ioniser within earshot of Andrew, he will rib me rotten.  I use an Ioniser too and last year (our busiest) produced a yellow/green ring. Like you I was convinced of the copper ions bonding to the calcium in the water and attaching itself to the liner.  I have used an original technique + numerous others without much success. Another pool not far from us asked me to take a look at the "bath ring".  They do not use an ioniser and also had the busiest season and identical stain. It would seem that it is due to sun cream and a lot of it hence why it only appears at the waterline area.

Thanks for that Teapot. I am pleased to hear that it is probably not the ioniser as it has saved me a lot of time & money. Before using it, I had a green pool at least 2-3 times a season (usually after storms) and had to choc the water. With the Floatron, never, and no anti-algue or floculent and very little chlor or PH+-. Don't know why Andrew would be so much against them  Confused [8-)]. I would still like to know from him where I can obtain info on the friezes though. Andrew?

Best regards

Chris

[quote user="Poolguy"]

Oh my dear Teapot

Rib, Rib Rib RIb Rib RIb!!!!!

Why on earth........?

Andrew

[/quote]

Yes I knew you wouldn't miss your chance [:D]

Why? because I can and the best way to really learn about a system is to buy one.

You know the Germans have been pushing Europe to lower the chlorine usage so we have to look at other technologies. Be proud it's Australian [;-)]

No chlorine in my pool!

Yes

The Oz had the knack of doing 'stuff' just because its interesting, not necessarily necessary. I've had a lifetime of that.

I don't think that there is anyone who would argue that the use of chlorine should be reduced but really, swimming pools are the minutest blip in the overall scheme, the paper and textile industry account for nearly 85% of it. If you can find a viable alternative to chlorine that then might mean something, but otherwise, I cannot see the point. You know very well what are the health consequence to inadequate sanitisation and to the accumulation of heavy metals by absorbtion - its not pretty, and certainly it does not help the promotion of that technology.

I'm doing my alternative stuff, and when its ready then perhpas I'll be like you but untill then I'll be like me and that's OK.

Salute

Andrew

• 1 month later...
[quote user="Northender"]

I'm interest in your comments about a ceramic frieze , would the additional weight not try and pull the liner away from the pool wall?

[/quote]

The frieze is made of pool liner type material and is stuck in position, your local pool shop should be able to show a selection of patterns and order you a big roll and some glue.

There are two distinct type of liner freize.

There is the Printed band which is indeed, a piece of armoured liner which can be stuck on.

The other type which is the subject of Northenders question is a row of ceramic tiles which fit into a holder which is suspended over the edge of the pool rim and fixed into the liners grip rail. But there is no affect to the liner itself, and it will not pull the liner off the grip rail.

If you need more information then contact me.

Andrew