Repairing Crack in Pool Pump

mike.m

Hi ,

On re-opening for the season I've discovered a leak caused by a crack in the base of the pump ( which I unwisely did not disconnect over the winter ! ) . Its a 1hp Culligan model .

Its located under the panier and runs around 50% of the perimeter of a cicular plastic (?)  floor section . The remaider of the perimeter is sound and solid so I"m wondering if I can seal the crack with something strong enough to provide a lasting repair . I saw rigid plastic jointing glue mentioned on an earlier post but I suspect the crack may be too large .

Thanks for any thoughts or its a new pump !

Hi Mike, Personally any repair IMO is temporary.  Service spares are available for most pumps so full replacement is not usually required. If it is a crack I do not see how you would force plastic padding into the gap so it would sit on top waiting to come off when you are not watching and could run the pump dry which would mean buying a new pump.

I suggest you send a PM to Dave who is on several threads recently, he is a polymer chemist and could probably supply the best knowledge on fixing if possible. Some pump bodies are glass re-inforced nylon and not much will stick it.

Absolutely agree with your synopsis.  Obviously without knowing exactly what it's made of I can only guess, but in any case any such repair, if it works at all, is likely to be temporary.  Something like epoxy resin (not the 5min stuff) may work for a while but it could fall out again at any time.  However if the pump body were to be make of something like PVCU or ABS (which seems unlikely as the ones I have seen have appeared to be glass reinforced PA as well) you might bodge it with solvent cement.  Try a bit on the base and see if it has any effect.

Dave