ph adjustment--cheaper alternatives?

chirpy

hi,

now we are beginning to sort out the pool are there any alternatives to the proprietary products...e.g.

for ph-   use of hydrocloric or sulphuric acid ,diluted of course .

ph+   use of sodium hydroxide dissolved in water ???

Appreciate the experts comments.

hi,

maybe I phrased question wrong--the products you mentioned are the normal recommendations  thai I have used and I wondered if the chemicals I mentioned were suitable or indeed any others  that may be cheaper.

how can that be as  pee contains uric acid -I don'tremember if that will give an alkaline or acidic reaction!!!![:P]

If ok I will ask all neighbours to come and have a few beers[B] and check ph level again.

For pH moins

Hydrochloric Acid is the cheapest but not to be used if you are running it through a doser or any sort of valves/pumps as it will clog, in which case use Sulphuric Acid

(TA+)Bicarobonate Soda FCC is very cheap when purchased in the 25 kg sac, but not so cheap in the 5kg pale from the pool shops.(marked pH+)

Very simple to use these and Javel with seperate cyanuric acid if you have accurate means of testing for the balance of the 4 parameters

Paying for these chemicals in commercial mixes will cost something like 4-5 times the price. So you will certainly save tidy sum by investing n a good tester.

Andrew

You pour the hydrochloric acid (sold by the 5litre from the hypermarche) straight into the pool (not too much, a litre or two will have a noticeable effect).  Or if you prefer, pour into a bucket of water first and then add that.  Always add acid to water and not the other way round, or it can heat rapidly and spit back at you.  No clogging or any other negative other than the safety issue below.  [Sulphuric acid - same rules apply, but really its inferior to hydrochloric] 

To raise the pH either use bicarbonate of soda or caustic soda (usually in 500g or 1kg tubs).  With this latter always add the soda to water and not the other way round.  Try 100g.  Mix in a bucket and add to the pool.

Run the pump to ensure mixing.

I should point out that hydrochloric acid and caustic soda need to be handled with great care as they are extremely corrosive or caustic and can cause a serious injury on the skin.  In addition hydrochloric has acidic fumes, so avoid breathing them.  Rubber gloves and goggles are the order of the day.  In any case rinse with lashings of water afterwards.  Never mix them either as you will get an explosion or near to it.  And store in safe place where nobody can get at them.  This isn't over the top, it's essential.

Dave

I just want to note that bicarbonate of soda (aka baking soda or sodium bicarbonate or sometimes called sodium hydrogen carbonate) is mostly used for raising the Total Alkalinity (TA) and isn't the best choice for raising the pH unless you really do want to raise the TA a lot.  To raise the pH with less of a rise in the TA, you can use washing soda aka sodium carbonate.  In the U.S. this is found in the grocery store as Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda.  If you want to raise the pH with even less of a rise in TA, you can use borax which in the U.S. is 20 Mule Team Borax (sodium tetraborate decahydrate) or you can use caustic soda (aka lye or sodium hydroxide).  These chemical choices have widely different concentrations so you can use [url=http://www.thepoolcalculator.com/]The Pool Calculator[/url] for rough dosing (dosing for pH adjustment is an approximate calculation in this calculator).

Richard