Pre Filter Cleaning

I've been meaning to clean the leaf basket in the pump pre filter for quite some time but haven't managed to remove the lid using hand pressure and didn't want to force and break it or use any tools.

Anyway,  it can't be avoided any longer and looking at it logically all that seemed to be required is to close the skimmer and bottom drain inlet valves and set the muti-setting pump valve to total fermature, screw off the top, clean and reassemble.  Just to be sure I googled a few sites,  including the manufacturer's handbook for a similar pump,  and was confronted with dire warnings of pressures sufficient to lift a small car, risk of decapitation and to move at least 10 feet away before switching the pump back on (difficult in a 6 foot square bunker and with normal length arms). 

I have to admit that I had wondered about the system being pressurised and hadn't thought of using the pressure release valve to remove any residual pressure.  Perhaps that's why I (luckily) hadn't been able to remove the lid previously.  Now I'm a little daunted to say the least.  Perhaps the dire warnings are the usual manufacturers' disclaimers and I'm just being a wuss?[8-)]

Mr Cat

Mark

You have a Pentair (replica) pump with two robust lugs on either side to unscew the lid, it only takes 1/8 turn to unlock and can be done with the sharp bump of the heal of the right hand. So long as you've turned off the Red valves from the pool AND set the multivalve of the filter to CLOSE then you should only get a little wet from the water flowing back from the filter but not the whole pool. As a precaution perhaps you could also close the three red valves back to the pool as well.

Bon chance,

salute le chat

Andrew

[quote user="Poolguy"]

Mark

You have a Pentair (replica) pump

[/quote]

I do?  Good grief!

Anyway - thanks Andrew you're a top guy.  I'm reassured now, plus Mrs Cat has checked the life insurance policy and is keen that I get on with it[:D]

Mr Cat