Security for above ground pool

AnOther

Having recently completed the decking for my modest above ground pool I'm wondering if I now need security. I can quite easily make a couple of gates for it and might do anyway.

[IMG]http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/biskitboyo/decking.jpg[/IMG]

Hi ErnieY,

As it is now deck access it would follow the same rules for an inground pool.

Your fencing is of the type that could easily be climbed by an adventurous child so gates would not make a huge difference. It looks like you have room for a floating security cover though.

BTW, thanks for the Nationwide guideance, very good rates and charge/hassle free whilst I was over.

The decking does only goes to the edge except at the left side where it goes round the side for about 1m which is where the ladder is.

I can put the original cover on it which is plastic and ties down along the sides and ends but not sure that qualifies as a security cover.

Not that it's an excuse or reason to not comply but where I am the chances of there being any 'at risk' rug rats, either belonging to family and friends or feral, is about the same as me waking up tomorrow with fresh head of hair and a six pack [:D]

Here's another photo from a different angle which shows it a bit more clearly.

[IMG]http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/biskitboyo/deck1jpg.jpg[/IMG]

If you want to be squeeky clean and legal then the only security that you can use is something that is certified as conforming I'm afraid.

Here is a rundown on what does conform http://www.totalfrance.com/france/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10503 .

If push really did come to shove and the authorities start clamping down then 1. they would have more work than they can cope with and 2. there would be a LOT of VERY unhappy French people who have no intention of conforming in any way me-thinks. But the government would be a lot richer by collecting fines of up to 40.000€ a pop!

Having read the thread you linked to JJ I think my best solution is perimeter fencing and gates. I already have fencing down the RH side, you can see the concrete posts, and although at the moment the actual fencing is in poor condition it will take nothing to fit new to a height well in excess of the 1.1m required. The bottom beyond the pool is already adequately fenced plus beyond that is a sheer drop of about 1m after which the ground slopes away very steeply and is loose rock to boot so virtually impossible to climb. To the rear, behind where I stood to take the photos, there is also an adequate fence so thats 3 sides taken care of. To the left is the house and there is access from the top end and the bottom but both lend themselves very well to being gated which would then create a totally enclosed rear garden which no 6 year old would be able to penetrate.

After that come the man traps...........................

Sorry ErnieY

the fence you have at the sides with the concrete posts does not conform you will need to have a fence with a certificate of conformity or read the 40 pages of tests and self certify, this goes for the gates also

that’s why i said an alarm will be the cheapest option

Ps nice job on the pool

chrish

Hmmm, I'll have to give it some more though then, never ending isn't it [:'(]

Thanks for the compliments BTW, I'm pleased with it and more importantly so is 'er indoors, my Brownie cup once again overfloweth [:$]

My whole plot is on quite a steep slope making most of the back garden pretty unusable for leisure activities. The concrete slab where the pool now sits was already there but left little room for any amenity space around it. I'd always planned to do something like this and now it's finished we have effectively gained another room to the house. The best bit is that the back garden, and that corner especially, gets sun all day long and it eventually sets over the roof of my barn which you see in the photos, the first one was taken at around 8pm. Utterly private too so no problem going au naturelle !

Haven't fully worked it out yet but it's definiteky come in under budget which was €2000 which I don't think is too bad for about 28m2. In a moment of sheer serendipity I happened across some boxes of 50mm SS screws in Lidl, exactly what I needed and probably 1/4 of the cost of buying them anywhere else. I bought 2 boxes of 500 @ €9.99 each and have but a handful left over.

The infils are all my own work, just 1/2 round rustic poles.

It looks really good Ernie! As far as the rest of that side is concerned you may think about an extreme crown green bowling green [8-)][I]

I agree with Chris that an alarm is probably your best bet. They are reconed to be a good way of witnessing a drowning, but in a confined controlled space it will keep you legal and help you sleeepp at night?

The conforming fencing for us was a non starter and bloody ugly IMHO. The others, apart from the floating cover, no thank you very much. So we have a floating cover which uses my cordless drill as the prime mover and that option saved me 1000€ on the solar or mains connected versions and no disruption!