How long to run filter ?

mike.m

Hi ,

Having just posted below it ocurred to me that I have been meaning to seek advice on how long I need to run the filter pump . The pool is 40 cu. metrs , theres a single skimmer and the pump is one hp. Any thoughts on how long ( and in how many cycles ) is optimal .?

Many thanks

Hi Maricopa ,

Many thanks for the recieved wisdom ! Does this mean that the pump size has no relationship to the filter cycle time ? I'm just wondering how long it takes for a  one hp pump to process 40 cubic metres ?

Best regards

Maricopa ,

I do not subscribe to the idea that cycle time for pump operation is related to temperature, it doesn't make sence to me and has no relation to physics or chemistry of swimming pools.

I pefer to calculate the cycle time based on the power of the pump and the capacity of the filter.

Ideal is 3 hour cycle time.

You have a 1 cv pump depending on the brand can be 12 - 18m3/hr but its normally 14m3/hr, so that would mean that you have a 2.8hr cycle time which is fine and given DDASS recomendations you should therefore effect two water cycles per day or just under 6 hours is sufficient.

Natually you would circulate when people are swiming.

Andrew

[quote user="Poolguy"]I do not subscribe to the idea that cycle time for pump operation is related to temperature,[/quote]

Andrew, I agree.  I was repeating what I have been told by several pool professionals (hence me stating "received wisdom")

[quote user="Poolguy"] I pefer to calculate the cycle time based on the power of the pump and the capacity of the filter.

Ideal is 3 hour cycle time.[/quote]

So do I, and in fact I run my own pump twice a day for three hours at a time thus ensuring at least two complete cycles of the water through the filter.

In June, July and August I never turn the filtration off. In 20 years in SW France the pool has always been sparkling no green problems and the water always 'feels' right. Beginning to wonder if I am overdoing it [8-)]

Poppy if your chemicals are all balanced correctly then its not usually necessary for 24hrs although some old school pool people still believe its a good idea, they don't pay the French electricity bills.

8 hours should be sufficient.