Floating safety cover.

Jonzjob

We had some friends come round for lunch a coule of days ago and they bought their dog with them. He is a labrador cross and weighs in at about 33 kilos. He's about 3 years old, quite lively and thought nothing of the fences, walls and hedges in the garden that seperate the pool from the house.

I sat and watched him wandering around the pool and looking at the cover. Then he tried putting a foot on it followed by all of him. Because the cover was going to come off the end straps were not fixed and he just wandered around on the cover enjoying the cool water on his feet. The cover dropped an inch or so below the water and stabalised, but only where he was stood or walking. We were all very impressed and it cleared up a thought that I have had for a long time as to just how effective it would be if a small child did manage to get on to it?

Now I have no worries at all about just how effective it is!

• 2 weeks later...
John, when you say "floating safety cover", do you mean the normal summer bubble stuff cover? We have similar concerns with our cats. They have not yet tried to get on our summer cover and if they did, I'm pretty sure they could leap off again. The worry is that they would get on the edge section which would faily easily go down with their weight and of course if they ended up under the cover, that would be their end game.

Yes Cathy, we have a floating roller shutter cover and it is supposed to be able to support 100Kg.

But for crying out loud don't let anything bigger than a very small cat onto a bubble wrap type summer cover because they tend to sink on the cover which then wraps around the weight and if you fall onto it there is a very real chance that you won't be able to get out! Don't even let your cat on it!

[:D]Or our Cat eh Cathy?