When is it best to run a Heat Pump??

trevoraylett

I am considering getting a heat pump to heat a 12m x 5.5m x 1.2m deep above ground pool but would like advice on whether it is more cost efficient to run the heat pump:

1. Just at night (with solar blanket on) on Heures Creuse with cheap(er) electricity to offset night time temperature losses?
  2. Just during the day when air temperatures are warmer so presumably the heat pump itself is operating more effeciently and cycling on and off more?
  3. Both at night and during the day if I am to maintain a temperature of say 28 degrees?
Finally, the size of heat pump you would advise if I wanted the pool available from mid may through to the end of September heated to 28 degrees.  The pool is located in Centre region between Tours and Poitiers.

All advice would be greatfully received.

Trevor

It's amazing how water will retain its heat during the night , especially in Summer , and with the cover on.

I would say it would almost certainly be more economical to heat during the night , even if you have to set it a couple of degrees above the desired daytime temp.

Can't help with size of pump , except to say 80,000 litres of water is a lot to heat!!

Trevor, unless the walls of your above ground pool are well insulated, give up now cost efficiency won't matter. The variation in temperature from mid May (ambient temp 15 deg) means trying to raise the temperature of 80,000 litres of water by 13 deg and holding it.

Losses from wind will account for a large proportion of the heat loss so using a cover when not in use is a must.  For the use of a heat pump you would need to contact a heat pump manufacturer to Carry out a detailed calculation for you. Try Calorex

Some good news, in July and August you probably won't need your heater at all as my pool gets to 28 deg just using the sun

This is probably against the rules but I would also whole heartedly endorse Calorex. I have no financial connection with them but know both the current owners and the former owners who sold to them.

I have had one of their dehumidifiers for about 15 years.

They are a great company who know their stuff and are very enthusiastic about it.