pool balance problems

After getting a Scuba+ and trying to balance the pool properly I'm still having problems. Firstly I had the usual high Cy/acid problems which was not at the time giving me stabiliser lock but came up reading high. Anyway the only way to get it down was to drain 70% of the pool.

Tested again and it was down to reading levels which I think now was 33. A month later and its reading high. I have used 4 multi galletes but surely that should have not put it back up to high?

My Total alkalinity level was coming up as low so over the last 10 days or so I have added 12kg of Bi-carb to the pool some every couple of days and its reading 10!!

Its a 50-55 cubic metre pool.

Did the other tests and these were PH-7.63

CLF-2.64 CLT-3.24

Cant understand whats going on really, Any ideas please.

Cheers

Are you timing the tests according to the instructions?

After testing, did you tip the test into your hand to ensure that the pastille is dissolved completely.

Did you take the water sample from 40cm down.

Andrew

[quote user="Thebiga"]After getting a Scuba+ and trying to balance the pool properly I'm still having problems. Firstly I had the usual high Cy/acid problems which was not at the time giving me stabiliser lock but came up reading high. Anyway the only way to get it down was to drain 70% of the pool. Tested again and it was down to reading levels which I think now was 33. A month later and its reading high. I have used 4 multi galletes but surely that should have not put it back up to high?  Each gallet will add 5-6ppm so after 4, you have added 20-24ppm more CYA which on top of the 33 makes more than 50 so it reads high.

My Total alkalinity level was coming up as low so over the last 10 days or so I have added 12kg of Bi-carb to the pool some every couple of days and its reading 10!! Its a 50-55 cubic metre pool. Did the other tests and these were PH-7.63 CLF-2.64 CLT-3.24 Cant understand whats going on really, Any ideas please. Cheers[/quote]

Testing as the instructions but cannot see anywhere that it says take the water sample 40cm down but anyway did it all again.

T/Alkalinity 94

PH 7.67

CLF 3.03

CLT 2.96

CYS Hi

So how is this water looking now? Happier that the alkalinity has gone up but not as much as it should have for 12kg of bi-carb!

What about the CLF-CLT how does this look and if its not good what do you suggest to remedy.

The CYS is going to have to stay high as I'm not draining any more water but I don't think its at a stage yet when it will do any harm.

Cheers

Yes the 40cm level is my tip as it gets a more representative sample in my opinion - water stratifies you know.

The bi carb take at least 2 days to dissolve completly - 96 is nearly there, so add another 2 kg

BUT FIRST... your CYS is still not resolved. So its important to get a result what ever that may be to know what to do.

Take 1 litre of pool water (40 cm down) add 1 litre of fresh tap water and test the result - SCUBA+ should give you a reading and that will determine the answer.

If it turns out to be say 50ppm after dilution then you have a result of 100ppm which will block your chlor so your pool will eventually turn green. Nevertheless in the mean time stop using gallets and use Javel liquid instead so you don't make the situation any worse.

Andrew

Hi Andrew

I have tested as you mentioned and I have a reading of 56 but I did the test twice and the tablet did not completly dissolve either time. So it looks like I have over 100ppm of CY in the pool which as you say is not good.

Having been using the pool with the multi galletes for 4 years I only had a problem with stabiliser lock the first year we took it over and could not get rid of the green water. The water has not gone green since then. After the winter 2 years ago we had some string algae which was ridden with the vac. Last winter I did not put the cover on but just went out and netted the leaves out every so often and had clear water.

It was only this year that I decided to get a Scuba+ from you to test the water properly and found that the CYS was high so I emptied out about 60-70% of the water and refilled with tap water and as I said I had a reading of 33 but it has gone up very quickly. When you think all the other years I have used the multi galletes all season and the chlorine was kept high without a problem. So I'm a little confused now. Its not really the right time to be emptying any further water and am worried that it may not rid the pool of enough CYS anyway.

What next?? How about the chlorine levels I gave you. How do I adjust that. Do I put in a large amount of liquid Javel? Also will getting rid of more water lower the total alkalinity again and have to start again with the bicarb.

Heeeelp.....

If you can verify that the tablet did not dissolve totally, then I suggest you change your swirling action to a 'flick' action and continue for 45 seconds instead of 30 secs(then rest of the remainder of the 30 secs), it is important that the whole tab is dissolved. Hence, I would be very confident to say therefore that your first CYS test (33) is unreliable. So we now know that your pool had over 300ppm of CYS due to your use of gallets without the ability to test for CYS. Now that you have the SCUBA+ you can use your gallets untill the CYS reaches 50ppm after which you can switch to Javel (something like 1 litre per day or its equivalent) which will chlorinate without adding to the stabliser concentration. OR if you wanted to save even more money .......  forget about gallets alltogether and use only 4 basic products to balance you pool chemistry which you can now measure very accurately with SCUBA+

Javel ---  for chlorination

Sulphuric acid ---- for pH balance

Cyanuric acid powder----- for stabliser

bicarbonate soda------- for the TAC

That lot should mean a spend of about €120- €180 /year on chemicals depending on the size of the pool, useage and quality of water and filtration.

If you are spending more than that, then its a waste.

Don't be concered about your current Chlor free level it will come down itself, and yes you need to add more fresh water (50%) which  will bring you down to the maximum level of 50ppm. Only then will you have good water quality managment which has not been the case for the past 4 years.

Hope that I have helped you

Andrew