Pool Cleaning/Maintenance Advice

Sharkster

I have just invested in a new pool for this year.  It is an above ground pool with 11 metres squared of water and has a sand filter that filters at 4 m squared per hour.  Previously I had an above ground pool with a catridge filter and last year in particular experienced terrible algae problems.  Before we fill the pool, I want to make sure I know which chemicals are to be used and when.  Previously I have used the following:-

Chlorine

Anti Algae

Very cheap tester kit

Having looks in catalogues there are various long term and short term chlorine solutions, 5 in 1 chlorine tablets, seperate anti algae and flocant, so I am very confused.  Is it better to use a slow release/long duration chlorine over a daily added chlorine?  Should floc be used on a daily basis? (never used this before)  Are the 5 in 1 tablets effective and if so, is that the only chemical I need?  Also since there is a sand filter are there any additional chemicals I need? Do I need filtershock tablets for the sand filter?  If so how often do I use them?  I want to have clean water for the whole summer and am happy to spend the time to achieve this, but I am confused to what the daily regime should be.  Also, if the water is heated from an external heater, are there any further things to consider in regard to water maintentance? Also, I have been looking at pool hoovers and most seem to refer to 'fond plat' which translated means flat bottom.  Are these suitable for most above ground pools too?

Any help/advice would be appreciated, really looking for an idiots guide to pool maintenance.

Thanks,

Sharkster

As I have said on a number of occassions, it is a surprise to me that who ever sold you the pool did not give you either a tutorial or a manual to instruct on the maintenance regimes required for healthy operation.

Just a hint though, a 'cheap testing kit' will be of little or no use to you.

Andrew

The old pool I had came with an instructional video, but I was unable to watch it.  I have yet to take delivery of the new pool, so there maybe something with that.  Can you offer some advise, I understand a cheap testing kit is of no use, hence why I will be using testing strips in the future.  Any useful comments would be appreciated.

Unfortunately as has been said before Sharkie, water chemistry is the same no matter how much there is of it. The only way to be sure is to use a good water chemistry checker. The re-agents that you drop in a pot or strips that you dip and compair with a colour chart are a guestamate at the best. Bin there and done that. I really don't know what the best answer is for a cheap way around it no matter what water you are swimming in??

It would certainly seem to be a shame to have a pool that hasn't cost a lot and then check the water with kit that costs nearly the same as the pool, but you pays yer money?? Good luck![:D]

So the Cool PoolTester can be had for around £70, I cannot seem to find Scuba+ anywhere (it is not a great search for google).  Is there any good places to buy either of these products in France?

Also, just found this link, would the experts on here agree that the information is accurate, so I have something to work with.

http://www.easypoolchemicals.com/shop/popups/small-guide.html

I got my Scuba+ from Polguy. He also has the cool pool tester too.

That site looks quite comprehensive Sharkie but I'll bet the chemicals are not cheap?? We have an inground pool with an auto dosing system and we use liquid javel and sulphuric acid. Not as bad as it sounds 'onest guv'...

Yup! That's for the PH, javel is the liquid chlor, bicarb of soda for the TA and dichlor granules(shock chlor) for the cyanuric acid.

Not so much a learning curve when I started 3 years back as a cliff. But it gets easier I've been told???[:-))]

Seriously, it isn't as daunting as it first looks, but there is a boat load of misinformation out there and one of my favorite sayings is "what questions do you ask when you don't know what questions to ask"?

If you stick close to what Poolguy says you won't go too far wrong. As I said though you can have a small blow up pool or a comercial pool, the water is still the same stuff in both and subject to the same pressures to keep it clean. Just go and have a look at your bird bath after a couple of days of it being filled??? Ours is more difficult to keep clean than the pool.

Sharkster

If you send me your details telephone unber and address  via PM then I xan help you with either the Coolpool tester or the Scuba +

Either of these devices will provide an accurate and comprehensive management regime for your pool water. Most of the issues related to their use and pool water chemistry generally is available on my website www.poolguy.fr in the Q&A section.

Thanks to Jonsjob for his help and recommendations.

Regards

Andrew