anfor regs

vervialle

Dear Vervialle,

I am sure you can find several posts on numerous forums regarding this subject by now, but to answer your question if a cover is approved to NF P90-308 that complies and is perfectly acceptable as far as the law covering pool security in France goes.

Although acceptable, it may not be suitable, as the cover has to be on the pool whenever it is left unattended if it is being used as the only security system.

If for example the cover is a winter type cover requiring hook or pin fixings in the terrace, it is very impractical to have to put this cover back onto the pool when it's unattended, especially if you are just nipping out to the supermarche, even more so if the property is likely to be rented, this type of cover is only normally used to winterise the pool so an alternative form of security will be used when the pool is open for the season.

If the cover is an automatic cover or barred security cover they are much easier to use and are designed to be used on a daily basis but it still relies on someone replacing it every time the pool is left unattended so not really pratical in a rental situation as ultimately the responsibility lies with the owner who is not going to be able to guarantee that the guests are going to replace the cover every time.

Although the law offers four approved systems, alarms, covers, abris and fences  / (barriers) which must all comply to a different set of norms, applicable to protecting children of 5 yrs and under, any security system installed cannot replace the supervision of a responsible adult at all time and should only be seen as a safeguard.

You need to weigh up the difference in cost that all options provide with the practical implications when deciding on your preferred type of security device.

I know I could have just said yes, but I hope that answers your question in a little more detail.

Kind Regards

Lee C

• 5 years later...
Hi,

We have a rental property in South West France and have recently had a pool installed. We have a barred type of security cover which will take the weight of an adult. I have indicated to clients in our rental agreement that the pool needs to be covered when left unattended which they acknowledge when they sign the contract. I am however worried that if they didnt cover the pool and something happened we would still be liable. I am considering installing a perimeter laser alarm too. Doe any one have a view on this. Thanks Marc

If you have provided a cover which complies with the norme (NF P90-308) and given instruction on it's use you are OK.

Your logic doesn't work : the clients could turn the alarm off just as easily as not using a cover.

Don't bother with a perimeter alarm, they are dreadful - and expensive to install.

If you have provided a cover which complies with the norme (NF P90-308) and given instruction on it's use you are OK.

Your logic doesn't work : the clients could turn the alarm off just as easily as not using a cover.

Don't bother with a perimeter alarm, they are dreadful - and expensive to install.