sand filter not working

nick16

My pool is 3 years old. This year, after vacuuming the pool, the following day, I have just the same amount of dirt lying on the bottom. If I clean the pool every day, I seem to have th same amount of dirt. If I do not clean the pool for several days, the dirt does not seem to increase. I am concrned that the sand filter is not doing its job, and the dirt is just being returned to the pool. I have not opened the filter tank, but looking with a torch through the top, it would appear that the sand comes to about two thirds up the tank, and seems to containa certain amount of gravel type substance. I only have access to the internet every few days, but any help gratefully received. Thanks.

Nick, it maybe channelled, that is to say there are "pebbles" of sand which allows dirt to travel through easily between the pebbles or a damaged lateral at the bottom of the filter. Try taking the lid off and giving it a good stir up to break up the "pebbles". Otherwise you'll need to empty it to inspect the laterals for damage.

Nick

I know nothing about pools and have often posted on here and had very good advice from theiere and poolguy.

We had a problem with our sand filter and ended up having the sand changed and new laterals put in just before closing down the pool last winter.

We keep our pool on a certain amount of filtration during the winter and everything everything worked perfectly .....   come spring when we opened up and started hoovering the pool, same problem, dirt, sand at bottom.       

Well, long story very short it was actually our hoover thingie that was broken and letting sand into water (ours had sand in it to weight it down) and was clearly not sucking up dirt at all.

Probably this is absolutely not the reason in your case - but having spent quite a large amount of money on something which didn't really need doing (albeit not a bad thing it was done!) you might want to have a good look at your aspirator first !

Thank you both for your replies. When I put the hoover near the dirt on the bottom, I can see it being sucked up, so I think that it not a problem. I will try 'giving it a stir' however. I am never too sure what the laterals are. Having read my manual, I think that they are the pipes that return the water into the filter box but I would like somebody just to confirm that. Thanks.