Deposit requested for new liner

Pluto

Does anyone have experience of the amount of deposit normally required for goods and services in France?  Need a new pool liner.  Company want 50% deposit to fix a date for supply next spring.  Thought a normal amount was 10% really if any.  Request suggests they may be having cash flow problems/about to go bust etc.

I don't think that the lead time for a liner would warrant payment now for delivery in the spring. You may be able to get a credit check on the company over the internet, but a 50% payment now seems rather steep to me. I would talk to other suppliers before considering this - you might be better off with someone who charges more overall, but takes a more reasonable deposit and is more likely to be around next spring. I would also suggest that if you choose to go ahead with the 50% deposit, you offer to place the amount in an account with a notaire if all they really need is to see that you have the means to pay.

regards

Pickles

If you do place the order with 50% bring your liner home for safe keeping, spring is a long way off in business terms. lead time should be around 10-14 days at this time of year especially with the big suppliers like Renolit. Are you leaving your pool empty over winter?

The company are being a bit reasonable as once manufactured to your pool spec it is of virtually no value to them if you change mind so what would they do then having taken a 10% deposit they too would be out of pocket in what is a very tricky market.