Cleaning a zeolite filter

Hello Pool Helpies,

I have never opened our pool filter to clean it (although I know realise I should do it at the beginning of each season). I'm OK doing this stuff on my own normally but....

I have two questions :

1. What is the correct process to depressurise the system so I can split the ballon and take the filters out to clean thoroughly (I've found a few youtube videos but they only really deal with the splitting of the system after it has been depressurised) ?

2. Do I need to replenish the zeolite stuff (the pool is around 8 years old now) and if so, where do I get it from and how much to I need ?

Any help appreciated.

[quote user="HoneySuckleDreams"]

Hello Pool Helpies,

I have never opened our pool filter to clean it (although I know realise I should do it at the beginning of each season). I'm OK doing this stuff on my own normally but....

I have two questions :

1. What is the correct process to depressurise the system so I can split the ballon and take the filters out to clean thoroughly (I've found a few youtube videos but they only really deal with the splitting of the system after it has been depressurised) ?

2. Do I need to replenish the zeolite stuff (the pool is around 8 years old now) and if so, where do I get it from and how much to I need ?

Any help appreciated.

[/quote]

The you tube video sounds like a DE filter not a sand filter, can you confirm it's a sand filter with zeolite in it?

Can't answer the other bit until you answer the post or post a photo of what you have now.

Ok now we know what you have, you need to turn off the pump, close the valves to and from the filter and move the multiport valve to waste.

Then open the drain at the bottom and allow the water to run out. Then you can get really messy! [blink]

With DE filters the water flow through the filter is the opposite way, through the bottom pipe and out the top pipe.