Chronic conditions and insurance

Hi

I've tried to keep up to date with decisions regarding those of us that are due to be expelled next April but because of chronic conditions (I have type I diabetes) cannot obtain private health insurance - does anyone know the latest?

Also, has anyone found any health insurance companies that are inclusive of conditions such as mine? I have contacted 6 or 7 without success - they are happy to help out with anything but the one thing I have wrong with me!!! So, I am looking at becoming 'stateless' with regards healthcare and as we are talking about on average €800 a month for medication and screening, unable to fund my treatment which will put my health in serious danger................sorry that sounds a tad dramatic, but sadly it's true.

Lastly, does anyone know whether being registered as actively seeking work changes my inactive status?

Cheers

[quote user="Magoo"]Hi

I've tried to keep up to date with decisions regarding those of us that are due to be expelled next April but because of chronic conditions (I have type I diabetes) cannot obtain private health insurance - does anyone know the latest?

Also, has anyone found any health insurance companies that are inclusive of conditions such as mine? I have contacted 6 or 7 without success - they are happy to help out with anything but the one thing I have wrong with me!!! So, I am looking at becoming 'stateless' with regards healthcare and as we are talking about on average €800 a month for medication and screening, unable to fund my treatment which will put my health in serious danger................sorry that sounds a tad dramatic, but sadly it's true.

Lastly, does anyone know whether being registered as actively seeking work changes my inactive status?

Cheers
[/quote]

Hi Magoo, well done for keeping up to date, we were 2 of the first to get hit by this.  We are now covered by insurance.  The key thing is that a lot of UK MPs are just letting this thing happen, and doing nothing.  May I suggest you do as much lobbying as possible (see lobbying thread). The 'smell' is going to get stronger around January, I sense it.

Good luck with your situation, there will be others asking for the same help so you are not alone.

All the best,

Thanks Lebois - I emailed Mary Honeyball last month but will try a couple of others.

I was upset by some comments on various forums a while back that basically say people with chronic conditions should have known better than to burn their bridges and leave the NHS but before I 'burnt bridges' I was informed by the British Embassy in Paris, DWP and the French Embassy in London of the French healthcare rules that stated I had to join the system and my diabetes would be covered 100%. 

You say you are covered by insurance now - are you able to tell me by which company?

Regards M

Magoo: Lebois, I and others are currently putting the finishing touches on a website which should give you direct access to as much information and ammunition for lobbying as we can get our hands on!

Re the insurance.  Lebois may be able to help you, but so far I have found nobody who is willing to cover existing conditions.  However, one agent is working away trying to formulate an "umbrella" scheme for all expats, which might protect you (rather on the lines of a company scheme.)  I have not heard what the status of this is for a week or so, so I'll get on to him today and see what's going on.

As far as registering as "seeking work" is concerned, then there may be a way into this but we still have no solid evidence.  I have a friend locally who has been signed on for nearly a year now, and she has promised to ask what her status vis a vis the CMU now is, so hopefully we'll get some more solid pointers in the next few weeks.  Meanwhile, we'll try to pick our way through the rules on this, but can't promise how quick we'll be!

[quote user="Magoo"]

Thanks Lebois - I emailed Mary Honeyball last month but will try a couple of others.

I was upset by some comments on various forums a while back that basically say people with chronic conditions should have known better than to burn their bridges and leave the NHS but before I 'burnt bridges' I was informed by the British Embassy in Paris, DWP and the French Embassy in London of the French healthcare rules that stated I had to join the system and my diabetes would be covered 100%. 

You say you are covered by insurance now - are you able to tell me by which company?

Regards M

[/quote]

Hi Magoo,  (sorry this company isn't yet ready for preconditions) what we did was spent 3 days trawling the internet getting quotes.  Our 'Top up' insurance man had been prepped a week before, and had had been doing the same.

When we went to see him we were able to show him the competion, he was able to satisfy our need but with lower cover. We only drive a small car, know what I mean?

I think this is the best way forward, get prepared and test the professionals!

Good luck.

Thanks for the info and advice guys - will await developments.

Just had another knock back from an American insurance company who will cover my condition if I don't have any treatment for it for the initial 2 years qualifying period......a cunning plan aye??  Kill off your customers before they have a chance to claim [:D]

Just to let you know what you're up against, and what is going on, here is a copy of an e-mail received a few days ago:

" I have had a residing No, regarding preferred underwriting form a
couple of Insurers, but we are still hopeful are catering a scheme for the
Expats. I will keep you informed when we have more movement. I believe it
will be at least a week before I get any more information or feedback.

Did you read this from The British Embassy

There are potentially 7420 'early retirees' from the UK who are resident in
France and whose E106 will
expire over the next 2.5 years.
We are unable to give figures regarding the number of UK 'early retirees'
in France who are not E106 holders, or indeed any figures regarding persons
with pre-existing conditions."

As you can see from an Insurers point of view, this is a unknown
risk and generally will make them very wary."

I apologise if it was my reference to “burning bridges” that

caused offence

We like everyone caught up in this mess read anything that’s

been written about retiring to live in France. We attended the conferences and

bought the magazines.

We sold a beautiful home and said goodbyes to family and

friends, safe in the knowledge that we would be joining a world-class health

service when our E106’s ran out. A pre-existing condition, epilepsy, means we

can’t risk staying.

My point with “burning bridges” was that people in the UK

will now think twice now they know that the rules can be changed

retrospectively. That’s the bit that hurts.

I for one didn’t see this coming and if that makes me naïve,

that’s me then

Joshua

As you know Magoo, I'm in the same boat with type 1 diabetes. I 've also been very upset to read some of the comments written on some forums.

As a word of  warning  to those tempted to skip the insurance  chronic conditions like this can strike at any age. even conditions such as type 1 diabetes  which normally develops in the young. I was perfectly healthy when I came here. I was fit, ran marathons  (and still do) so was flabbergasted to be told by the GP to go straight to hospital  where I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. I spent 10 days there having every test under the sun. Very expensive with no insurance.

Sadly, I don't see any insurance covering us. Even if we were prepared to pay for insulin, test strips and regular checks out of pocket. The insurance would not cover anything that was possibly related. Any thing to do with eyes, kidneys, heart, circulation or neuropathy would be excluded for a start. Anything that could possibly have an autoimmune element would presumably be out as well. Even  an operation for something totally unrelated would require addtional monitoring so cost more.

Personally, I've been here five years and  am checking the internet every day in the hope that this 'loophole' is confirmed from the French side.  I'm also praying  that the French authorities concede that it would be immoral to leave vunerable people without health care with potentially fatal consequences. The trouble is that if they do they will be removing the 'healthy' payers and keeping those that cost a great deal of money.

Hi Joshua

No, it wasn't your post that made me mad it was on another forum that have some members who seem to enjoy 'forum baiting' and which can get very personal and if you are trying to find info or ask for advice quite frustrating.

I hope you find a way to stay - it must be a very upsetting time for you and yours.  I feel helpless which is a feeling fairly alien to me as I have tried to make my 'condition' work around my life rather than living my life around my condition. 

Reading various documents, the belief of 'healthcare for all' that some charities believe is a basic human right makes our situation surreal when people like us are excluded from both the state and the private healthcare system.  I remember when I fell between the gap of my E106 and my CV proper (about 2 months) I had to go to my CPAM office to ask them to okay blood tests and insulin prescription.  They umm'd and arhh'd so I said if I don't inject I die and if they weren't going to sort it out now can they give me a letter for my next of kin explaining why they refused me treatment.  They ran the pharmacy and laboratory while I waited.[6]

Much better news today from my insurance contact.  I will keep you all posted.

"Good afternoon,
things are moving very well, I have an big name Insurer looking at it
presently and they are looking having cover for pre-existing with just a
simple application form. This I believe will fit out criteria perfectly, if
they come through on their promise.

I have also made contact with an overseas insurer, which can cover
pre-existing conditions on a case by case basis at a premium of course and
meeting up with them soon to look over their offering.

So things are progressing forward."